1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you own a P+S as well?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by eyeguy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    So the reason I'm looking into m43 (e-pl2) is because I want to replace my point and shoot. However I'm second guessing getting an E-PL2 since it's not really pocketable, so I'm wondering if I will carry it around as much as if I just had a nice P+S.

ISo what P+S do you all own?

• Like Like x 2
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have couple a canon and a olympus point and shoot. They are only used when I want to travel very light and on sunny days. As they are only really good for shooting outdoors with the 1/2.23 sensors. So I mostly use it when I am riding my motorcycles. For indoor and night stuff, the epl-1 with the 20mm 1.7 comes out as it fits in my jacket pocket. And when I am shooting action the canon dslr comes out.

3. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    M43 G2
    voigtlander vito cl film
    iPhone

iPhone camera by far get the most use since I have it all the time.

BK

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have two m43 bodies (and a few lenses), a Nex (and a couple lenses), and a P&S (LX-5). I'm not one to have a camera with me 24-7 (other than the one in my iPhone and I rarely use it), but if I was, I'd carry the LX-5. But usually when I go out and shooting is all or part of the agenda, I figure out what I'm most likely to be shooting, how much a part of the outing is it likely to be, and the choice of camera usually falls pretty easily from there. I enjoy each of these cams for different reasons, but if I was gonna have only one and I wanted more than a single focal length available at any given time (IE, a zoom or multiple primes) but didn't want to carry much, I'd go with the LX-5. Or if I was OK shooting with just one prime at a time, I'd get a gf1 or gf2 or epl2 with one or two prime pancake lenses.

-Ray

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I can't answer the survey as posed.

I have five cameras. Six if you count my iPhone.
    I have one mFT.
    Zero point-and-shoots: unless a manual film Zeiss Super Ikonta medium-format folder counts.
    Zero SLRs, digital or otherwise.
    Got a bunch of rangefinders (one digital) and an underwater scale focus camera, though.

Ray, I just did some 9x12 prints of iPhone photos from Mpix. They look amazingly good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I don't own a P&S camera at the moment. I have owned a few in the past, but I could never get to grips with their image quality, which was way behind the IQ of my Nikon D200. So far I've been able to resist the temptation of buying a Canon S95/Olympus XZ-1/Panasonic LX5 type of camera. The MFT cameras look like the happy middle ground for me. The only reason to have a P&S camera is to stick in my pocket, which I most likely will forget all the time.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nope, sorry! :biggrin:

Not surprised about the iPhone print. I have an 8x10 inch glossy print of a shot I took with a very early Panasonic digital P&S that was I think 2 megapixels and its friggin' BRILLIANT. I don't own a magnifying glass that can find a flaw in that print. So I basically discount the arguments against P&S cameras on enlarged print grounds unless you start talking 16x20 or 20x30 sized prints. I have a couple of prints from the S90 I had last summer that look VERY good at 16x20 and just start to fall apart at 20x30. And the m43 stuff is just delightful at 20x30, which I was only printing at to see how they did - I never print that large...

-Ray

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    DSLR: Canon 40D with 30D in reserve. Favorite lenses are primes (35, 50, 85) for indoor portraits.

P&S: Canon G10, S90; Panny LX3. S90 most likely to travel with me on business trips due to compactness.

All of the above now experiencing underutilization since acquisition of GF1 and G1.

9. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    My collection includes a G1, GH1 and LX5.

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As soon as I got the e-p1, I sold the DSLR. For what I do (mostly street shooting), there was 100% use overlap between the two, and the DSLR is more trouble than ยต4:3 for that kind of pictures.

But I kept the Pany Lx-2 ; I don't use it as much, and mostly it's now my wife's camera (which is a neat trick to have the camera always at hand's reach without carrying it yourself, those ladies' bags are amazing really). But for those times the e-p1 would be at too high a risk (skiing for instance) the LX2 gets back to active duty.

Cheers,

11. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I only have my GH2. I guess we're not really a family of photographers and we don't need more than one camera. Although, if I was to buy a P&S as a 2nd camera, I would probably go for the Pany LX5 or the new Oly XZ-1.

12. nursenicole

nursenicole Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    the E-PL1 was an "upgrade" from my Sony Cybershot... it's still a great camera, but i wanted to evolve my photography and learn something new. the E-PL1 is definitely a little more camera than i am used to, but it's still pretty compact. i'll keep the Cybershot for sure, just because.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    EPL-1, Fuji Finepix F20 and F45 (gave to my son) an LX3 and a ton of film cameras

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I picked the DSLR+P&S but I don't really have DSLRs.

Its all about features and image quality versus convenience and packaging. What are your priorities? My two P&S are the Panny TZ5 and LX3. Absolutely lovely cameras. However, the E-PL1, G1, and my primary cameras will produce signficantly better quality images and an enjoyable photographic experience.

Know the camera's limits and work them... that's true for any camera. If you are happy with the P&S quality, I see no reason to move to anything else. If you want to move on to better, the M43 format is an excellent compromise given the lenses and bodies are smaller than the typical DSLR.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    E-PL2, D-LUX 5, Droid Incredible

Even before I unloaded all the DSLR stuff, I was using my Droid more. Like already posted, I always had it with me. 8MP camera with LED "flash" (I know the chip must be the size of a pinhead though). It takes great shots for facebook and ebay.

16. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Yes in addition to M4/3 S95 and XZ-1 point and shoot. Canon 60D and 5DMKII DSLRs.

17. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    a 10 year old sony cybershot dsc P8. I still use it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I sold a 5d Mark II DSLR but kept a Canon 7D although I really find I don't use it that much anymore except for the few occasions when the micro four thirds camera just can't cut it (low light action shots mainly). I have an EPL-1 and have gathered quite a few lenses for it. I enjoy the micro four thirds camera as much as any camera I've ever owned. I carry it everywhere. I plan on picking up a second mu 43 body and would like to give a GH2 a try.
    I sold a Canon G11 point and shoot and don't plan on buying any more point and shoot cameras. After carrying around the 5d Mark II and 7D and the comparably massive lenses that go with them . . . the epl1 feels small and such a pleasure to carry!

19. Number of sort of P&S type of camera.
    Lumix LX-2, the GF-1 was my upgrade.
    Oly C-60. Nice little camera, but salt air has caused a slight problem with the zoom. Bit of a time bomb. Use it to take web photos for ebay and whatever.
    Oly XA, 35mm rangefinder. Super little camera. Nice glass, has taken a beating and keeps clicking nice photos.

20. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Serious Compacts

I voted yes to the P & S, though I am not sure that a point and shoot is really the proper name for a Panasonic LX5. I'm only teasing a tiny bit. To me a "point and shoot" is a camera without any controls - no aperture or shutter controls, no EV, no ISO...no nuthin'.:wink:

I have had two Canon Elphs...my current one, an SD870 is a true point and shoot, and I am happy to say that I have made some really nice photographs with it. However, I love my "serious compact" LX5. Speaking of which, for those of you who are new here you may not realize that Mu43 has a sister site called to which you are all invited - Serious Compacts. If you visit, I can guarantee you that you'll recognize a few familiar faces.:biggrin:

I think many of us have more than one camera and certainly the photos that I've seen with several camera phones have been pretty impressive.
    Deirdre, I am very excited to read this!:thumbup: