1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you need a ND filter for 45mm 1.8, wide open?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hazwing, Feb 14, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I was planning a order from bhphoto for some filters and accessories. I plan on picking up the 45mm 1.8 at some point as well... Just wondering when shooting wide open @ 1.8 (during the day), do you need a ND filter so the image doesn't over expose?

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    In full sun, most definitely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Here's an example I shot last week, granted this has snow too making it even brighter. Base ISO (200), max shutter (1/4000) and I'm and f3.5.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/8445665923/" title="P2020157.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> 8445665923_bbaf9ef0c8_c. "800" height="534" alt="P2020157.jpg"></a>

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    thanks, I'll need to pick something up then. What level of ND filter do you use?

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have shot my legacy 45 at f2 during many sunny days, without a problem. I guess it depends on how sunny it is where you live (can't imagine less than half a stop is causing drastic overexposure).

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You may not *need* it most of the time, but on bright days if I plan to shoot at wide apertures I like using a 3-stop ND filter to give some wiggle room.

7. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Any recommendations for filter brands for this and for the 75/1.8? I'd like to shoot both of these wide open during the day, and the base ISO of 200 is bumming me out. :) (Okay, not really, but I can't shoot wide open.)

Suggestions?

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't use mine a lot on the 45mm, but it's definitely a handy thing to have in your kit if you really want to shoot at f1.8 for subject isolation and it is blazingly sunny. Often a 1/4000 shutter speed will get you there, but for the times it won't a 3 stop ND will, as Fin says, give you wiggle room. May as well just put it on and not have to worry about whether your shutters speeds are going to cover you.

As with most filters, get the best one you can afford. Unless I'm strapped for cash, I usually try to get a B&W brand -- good, solid quality without breaking the bank. (I confess to having a soft spot for all things Schneider optical)

• Like Like x 1
  9. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    One other thing to consider is that polarizing filters usually have a couple stops of light loss, so if you're thinking of a getting a polarizer it can also give you an ND effect.