Do you need a bag to carry everything?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by davidzvi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I just sold my Think Tank Retro 5 and it got me thinking. Do you really need a bag to carry all your camera gear?

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I don't. Actually when I do take everything is quite annoying and takes more time to find things. It also leaves me less mobile. So while I store all my camera gear in a single bag at home, when I go to use it I like the little bags. But this is one of those personal things. Whats right for me is not right for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    depends on where you are going, how far you are travelling and what you want to do

this is a typical pack if I am travelling.. the 'A' bag a Tenba is taken as hand baggage on planes and carries most of the gear to the destination. The "B" bag is the Domke, which I use if I am out and about and need multiple lenses, water, cigarettes, maps.. whatever

K

• Like Like x 3
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a Domke 810 I use about like you use your Tenba. But instead of dividers I would put the Retro 5 (or F-5XB I use to have) in with all the tablets, charger, etc.

Thinking about going back to the F-5XB, not sure yet.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I almost always carry a bag when shooting. I've just carried the camera and one lens a handful of times in the last 1-1/2 years. My sunglasses get thrown in the bag when it's time to shoot, plus I always like to be able to switch between the short and long zooms. Damned if I'm going to carry the big zoom in a jacket pocket; the thought of it falling out or swinging into a post or wall makes me cringe.

6. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Do you use tablet in the field?
    I'm asking it because I'm used to carry iPad air all the time in my camera bag, but I ended up with no chance(except of enjoying entertainment while sitting in cafes) of using it.

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Unless I am doing a large, on assignment job...I never carry everything. I have a Think Tank Retro 10 that I use, and for 99% of the time, it can handle everything I need for my everyday carry needs and for specific assignments.

It really depends on how active I'm going to be as well. The Think Tank bag is not the best when I'm hiking, so I do have a few Lowepro Slingshots.
    Taking too much stuff can cause you to think too much about what to use and not actually shooting. I hate that! :D

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Never. I was/am assuming Kevin means traveling as more than just a day out shooting. But if I know I'll also be spending time in a cafe I might bring my tablet in the car.

I actually wish manufacturer would leave out the tablet section and make the bag thinner. The Tenba Cooper would interest me more if it didn't have that pocket in the back.

The 810 is about the same size as the Retro 10 so it also servers for small jobs with my pro gear. Otherwise I have a large rolling bag for events. But in those cases I live by the motto of better to have and not need than need and not have on the job.

But for me m4/3 is just for fun and vacations.

Too true.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Cool Vid mate! :2thumbs:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    When I traveled, I'd often leave the bag behind and just take the camera and one or two lenses for a day trip. Clipped the camera to my OpTech Utility Sling with an OpTech neoprene camera cover over it for protection, and clip a another lens in a pouch to the sling. It was a little awkward to change lenses without a place to put the first lens while getting the second lens out of the pouch and onto the body, but it worked for a really light kit. Maybe if I clipped an empty lens pouch on, this would help. This was good especially if we got some drizzly weather because I could put the sling on and then put on my rain jacket to cover it. Made it a little more weather proofed and a bit stealthy. Here's what I did.
    messenger bag for em5 12-40 40-150/2.8?

11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    This is why I like lens hoods. Even when there is no sun out, besides offering some protection to the front element from banging into things when slung over your shoulder, lens hoods are also very useful to stand your lens on the ground while changing lenses rather than trying to juggle them both in your hands. The key is to let go of being anal about scuffing up the front rim of your lens hood (sure beats dropping a lens from waist high onto concrete).

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use a Tenba BYOB 7 insert (body with one prime mounted and second prime) or the BYOB 9 (3 primes or the 12-40 plus one prime) in one of a number of messenger bags. I always have an iPad with me. The only time that I use a dedicated camera bag is for video events.

13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You asked if you need a bag to carry all your gear. I don't. I need 2 bags to carry all my gear plus my tripod which has it's own bag with a shoulder strap. As a matter of course, I never carry all my gear and I don't always need a camera bag when I'm out with a camera.

The answer to this question depends on just what "all your gear" means. I could easily say "no" if all I had was 1 body and 2 smallish primes. I've got a bit more than that, and the Olympus PRO lenses don't come small. Answers to this question say more about how acquisitive we each are as photographers than what they say about what a "normal" photographer requires, and that raises the question as to whether there is such a thing as a normal photographer. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I do carry all my pro gear for events. ;)

But my m4/3 gear is:

E-M5 mkII
    O17
    O45
    O60
    O14-150
    P12-32
    R7.5

Two main grouping I use:
    7.5 + 17 + 45 / family, evening on the town, etc
    7.5 + 14-150 + 60 / nature walks

15. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

It depends upon where I'm going and what I'm shooting. Most of the time, if I'm going out specifically to shoot, I wear cargo pants and load the pockets with two or three lenses and a spare battery, and carry my camera in my hand. However, if I need flash, or if I'll be hauling around a tripod anyway, I have an Amazon Basics backpack that holds it all.

16. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I have more than one bag so I can pack for the activity rather than haul everything at once. The small Think Tank bag will carry the EM-1 + 12-40mm PRO and one other lens or one flash unit and is my "walk-around" bag. My larger Lowepro bag will carry the camera and 12-40 PRO plus a couple of lenses AND the flash. I have a Lowepro lens exchange bag for the 100-300 and a little Optech lens bag for all the others. I never carry them all, mixing and matching as needed for each shoot. It got confusing at first but is pretty much second nature now to choose just what I will need.

17. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I do not. I use my car as storage... seriously, I rarely needed a macro lens and a long zoom at the same time, so I usually bring just what is needed for the planned shooting (and the pl 25...)

18. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I think it all depends on what you are doing and what you expect to use. My m43 kit is stored in a large Lowepro bag and my Canon kit is kept in a Hama backpack. I also have a number of smaller bags which I'll use to carry selected kit if that's all I think I'll need. I don't like changing lenses outside, so if I think I'll need both tele zoom and primes, I'll take 2 bodies. I recently bought an RX100 for those casual walkarounds, but whatever I take out, it will always be in some kind of case.

19. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
  20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Am I the only one that goes for a backpack? I have a padded divider insert that I put lenses in, which goes in any standard backpack along with food, drink, etc. The insert can fit everything that I would want to ever take but I don't always take everything. Camera hangs from a sling strap from my shoulder. If I'm going really light with primes I tend to put one or two in jacket pockets - this doesn't work in summer though... might need to pick up a little messenger 'man bag' for those cases.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015