Do you like seeing the Buy and Sell listings separated from main forum topics

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, May 19, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A few weeks ago, we separated the Buy and Sell listings from the main forum listings so that the Buy and Sell listings are no longer mixed into the Recent Discussions list. I'm looking to get some feedback as to whether this improves the experience for our members. Please vote and/or comment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Much prefer the new way!

If I'm in the market for something, easier to find the listings.

Conversely, if I'm trying to avoid another attack of GAS, I don't have items for sale dangling in front of me as I scan other posts. :biggrin:

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I completely agree with this.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I like that they are separate ..... it is easier to skip over them. I just kinda wish they didn't take up so much extra space in the recent discussions column at the right.

The only way I navigate this site (for the most part) is from that recent discussion column.....so if a conversation has dropped off the bottom of that list, I'll likely never see it again.

However, the classifieds is one section where I regularly navigate to the forums for. I'm not sure it even needs a space in the "discussions" section. When I'm looking to buy or sell, I go straight to the classifieds. Maybe that's just me.

just a thought..... maybe people could place a classified listing for free in the classified section or for an insertion fee of $5, it could be in the "latest Member ads" part below the recent conversations column....... put a little money in the tip jar.

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I MUCH prefer the old way

I like keeping up with the entire photography market of our little world. Now I have to remember to click over there and I often forget. Before, it was sort of done for me. Also .... suppose there is a really good deal on something I want or need. With the old way I will know about it right away as m4/3 is the first site I check in the morning and I look at it several times a day. I'm going to have to retrain my brain. :frown:

6. I don't think that the list of "Latest Member Ads" on the right hand side of the page should be so long, certainly not at the expense of the list of "Latest Threads". Given that the buy/sell forum is a completely fee-free service for sellers it does give them a lot of exposure.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    90% of the time I'm on the iPad app, so I dunno what yer talking about :)

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I do a lot of buy and sell, and I'm happy withit separate at the bottom.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I kind of liked having them mixed in too, but that section has become very active, and there were times when several of the top 10 recent discussions were Buy and Sell...

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's an extra click, but if you click on the "Discussions" tab at the top of the page, it gives you twice as many threads as the "Recent Discussions" on the right. I could always make "Recent Discussions" longer though and push the Buy and Sell listings further down. I'm trying to find the right balance and appreciate all the input.

Interesting idea...

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Some members are prone to SERIOUS serial sell threads. That would not be flood to clog up discussion threads with those posts.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Maybe a post at the very top of recent discussions that shows the count of new buy/sell postings, and a hot link to go to the marketplace??

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I thought I had licked that by putting a 1 thread per 8 hour limit, but what some people were doing was posting a thread every 8 hours and then bumping all of their threads together once a day :dash2:.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's another good idea!

15. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I have the "New Posts" link as my mu-43.com bookmark so I still see them mixed together, but I still like having them separate in the sidebar.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Excellent idea! :2thumbs:

17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    From a Marketing standpoint, if I am trying to SELL something, I want to put it in front of as many faces and eyeballs as possible.... so IMHO when my ad is listed in New Posts and/or Discussions.. I have a larger audience and I get more potential buyers attention..:smile:
    Doug

• Like Like x 1
  18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I like the sidebar for the buy sell listings, but would not want to see it shortened. I think you have a good balance at present. It gets annoying when sites/forums are forever tweaking things - if it works leave it alone. Occasional improvements are great, but constant tinkering drives me nuts. You've done a great job, please don't get carried away. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree, but is Amin's job to help us sell stuff for no commission back to the site? I think the marketplace adds greatly to the site, and I like it at no charge, because it encourages newbies to get involved, but I think it's discussion and help to other members that drives eyeballs to the site.

• Like Like x 1
  20. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I also prefer the Buy-and-Sell listing separated from the other threads. I'd also like a separation between image and gear threads, especially these days with the flood of E-M5 posts the image posts disappear very quickly from the New Posts list.

• Like Like x 2