Do you know rakuten?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by homerusan, Feb 7, 2014.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
  2. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Looks too good to be true. That's more than $450 less than the same equipment at B&H.
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have an account with Rakuten - they're also known as

Hope this helps?
  4. Merthod

Merthod New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    I have been in the importing business long enough to tell when the product has a catch. However I don't know the brand. But it immediately smell fishy for me. Is it new? Because it is and the pic shows like it, then compare it with other cameras in that same store and other japanese. Look also for reviews on the net. Use Google Translate.
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    THey also bought out The american site is now Rakuten. Silly if you ask me to kill a well known url.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I can't speak for this specific deal, but Rakuten is a large online retailer in Japan, so it's probably not an out-and-out scam. Doesn't mean there isn't a catch though.
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    FYI, it is the same price at Amazon Japan. I've been eyeing prices because I will be going to Japan next month...
  8. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    I live in Japan and buy stuff on Rakuten all the time. The camera you link to looks to be sold through Bic Camera, which is one of the major retailers here. Camera stuff definitely does seem to be quite a bit cheaper in Japan. Depending on your visa status (i.e. if you're a tourist) I believe you can get the sales tax waived…not sure if that works online though.
  9. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    I should say though, that while I strongly doubt you'll get ripped off, some of Rakuten's marketing practices are a bit spammy. Make really sure you uncheck all the "opt-in" boxes before you submit an order (scroll all the way to the bottom - they're sneaky) otherwise you'll be getting a bunch of junk in your inbox. Amazon Japan isn't a whole lot better in this regard.
  10. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    It appears that Rakuten is not one retailer but rather a platform for various stores.
  11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Rakuten is a very big Amazon like retailer in Japan. They bought out I purchased my Panasonic 12-35mm lens from the Rakuten site. Shipping was just a few days (about as fast as UPS from the West to East coast of US) and the product was well packaged. They included some tea and an Oragami along with some notes.

While people were waiting on the EP-5 to be shipped, I ended up ordering an E-P5 kit from a Rakuten dealer and had it in about 5 days. I had the camera before the people in the US who pre-ordered it and the price was much better. Packaging was perfect, camera was new, and Olympus warranty covers it no matter where you buy it.

The downsides of Rakuten global include the potential for some type of hold up in US customs. I never had an issue with that. There is also talk about some type of tax imposed by customs but I have never seen that in my overseas purchases. Finally, some of the emails from the sellers will be in Japanese. Prepare to have google translate opened on your computer to read some of the details. Also, check with the individual seller to see if they ship to the USA. Some do not. The EMS shipping service from Japan to the USA is very good.

Overall, I have been very happy with Rakuten Global from Japan.

On a side note, I live in the US and purchase bike parts from Chain Reaction Cycles in Great Britain all the time. Same concerns about customs, etc but I always have recieved my parts in a timely manner and their service has been great too. (They communicate in my language which helps....).

Bottom line, I would go for it if you want an E-P5.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Rakuten is an online B2C trading platform like Amazon, and it is one of the largest in Japan. I've bought stuff from them (mostly sporting equipment) via their global site, and have not had any problem with them, except as someone else has pointed out, their marketing emails are a bit spammy...

Having said that, I haven't bought any camera equipment from them because cameras sold in Japan usually only comes with Japanese interface (not sure if this is true for all models though), and the warranty is for domestic Japan use only, which is why Japanese camera equipment sold domestically are usually cheaper than those sold outside of Japan...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD

This would definitely be something to check on. I bought my E-P5 from them and the menu was in Japanese. I had checked first, however, with Olympus tech support and they told me all their cameras rolll down the same assembly line and have all the languages.

With the E-P5, a few button pushes into the gear menu and I had my menus in English.

Rakuten global is best when they offer the shipping discounts occasionally. The biggest problem I have had is that some vendors will not take paypal or a credit card and they want a bank transfer for international purchases. I have not felt like setting this up so I only have dealt with a few of the vendors who don't require that.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Only sony and panasonic, every other camera I`m looked at has a changeable interface, canon nikon and olympus all their software disks have english too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Sony does allow for English menu selection at least for the A7 and the A7R. I purchased one of each from a retailer in Japan and Korea respectively. If anyone has this concern, PM me and I can feed you instructions (at least until I switch to another system--probably next week).
  17. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan

Really! I looked at an A7 in the shops here couldn`t find it. Maybe the one you purchased in japan was from their overseas model range.
    Which are for visitors who come to japan and not for the local market.
    Only some shops stock them, they have multiple languages and an international warranty. Usually sony cameras do not.

They have the A7R in this range but not the A7
    I don't know about Korea, but I suspect they might be the same overseas model sold here?
    I`ll have to go off and check again now.
  18. totohdyt

totohdyt Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    i live near Osaka , I went to camera shop at yodobashi camera, for Sony A7 in English interface we have to order and need more cash for that..
    but not for Panasonic
    I mean only in Japanese language for Panasonic

19. steveislikewoah

steveislikewoah New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2014
    Got my Olympus 45mm from Rakuten for $340 a while back, no issues at all.