1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you know much about these monitors ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livnius, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi folks.

To date I've been doing all my PP on my HP dv7 with 17" screen, as far as stock standard laptop screens go its pretty decent for general usage...but with my interest in all things photography having ballooned in the past year I find the screen to be limiting with image editing (LR + Nik) and as such, have decided to look into getting a decent quality monitor.

I've been looking at IPS monitors in the 24" range with aspect ratios of 16:9 or preferably 16:10. First concern though is that it comes with a reliable and accurate sRGB mode.

After a bit of searching the 3 that interest me the most are:

ASUS PA238Q 16:9 and apparently has close to the best out of the box sRGB colors

DELL Ultrasharp U2412m 16:10

...and finally,

HP LP2475w 16:10

What I like about these is that according to many reviews, there appears to be a general consensus that all 3 deliver exceptional sRGB colors right out of the box, great blacks and excellent contrast. I would prefer 16:10 just for the extra real estate but top priority is screen quality.

I expect either of these will deliver significantly superior results to any laptop screen so it'll be a win-win-win however I go.....but before i buy I'd love to know what you guys think.

2. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I like the the Dell Ultrasharps. I own the U3011 and would have a VERY hard time using anything else in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm very fond of my UltraSharps, all like seven of them. I don't know how the other two compare, though. However, "right out of the box" colors is like using right out of camera JPEGs. Not necessarily bad, but not serious. If you don't have monitor calibration hardware, buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    They are all excellent monitors for imaging work, can't go wrong with any of them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

From what I've read, the out of box colors from the ASUS have been reviewed by several sources as being so good, that only the most hardcore would find anything worth further calibration....which sounds pretty darn good to me because I can put the $100 towards something else rather than calibrating gear. It is 16:9 though rather than my preferred 16:10.

Like I said, it'll be a win-win either way.
    Note taken, the DELL Ultrasharps are a serious contender.

I will probably pick something up this weekend so there is still time, if anybody has user insight or user opinion please feel free to lend a voice.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Dell Ultrasharps are the most popular. That doesn't mean they're necessarily the best. The HP and Asus are absolutely respectable, nothing to scoff at. That being said, I have an Ultrasharp :p but that's just what was on raging clearance here at the time. It was unrealistically low, but I expect that living 8 minutes south of the Dell headquarters may have influenced that. If you want 16:10, get 16:10 and don't settle. The extra vertical resolution is nice. The 1080 HD craze has down-rezzed our screens, 1200 pixel tall monitors used to be much more common, but now everyone makes 1080 to appeal to the "Wal-mart crowd." After you narrow it down to 1900x1200 monitors, just go by price and availability.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Monitor colors shift over time and with lighting conditions. Serious calibration isn't a one off, it's once every month or two. I don't know how serious you are expecting to take this, but that's how professional display calibration is handled. It may well be overkill for what you're doing, but you wanted accurate so there it is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That's good to know re: the color shift, I've came across it a couple of times in my reading but having not read anything specific regarding the rate of color shift I just assumed it would be a once a year type thing at most. Alas, to maintain that accuracy calibration is required more frequently than I had guessed....like I said, good to know and very much appreciated.

Thanks for the input guys :)

I'll let you know how it all pans out over the next week, but I'm certain it'll be a big win either way, I have not yet seen a post/thread anywhere where a person has upgraded their stock standard laptop monitor to a 'proper' high quality monitor for image editing purposes and come away anything less than blown away by the improvement.

9. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I'm on my second Dell Ultrasharp (a U2410). It's very good value, but I found that it was too bright out of the box. (If it's often for photos for printing, then I recommend a display colorimeter.)

• Like Like x 1