Do you keep the plastic accessory port portector on while not using the vf-2 or vf-3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dylandingo, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I just got the vf-2 for my e-p2 about a week ago and I plan on using my camera with and without it depending on the situation. I was just wondering if other people keep that piece of plastic on their accessory port while not using their vf-2 or if you don't bother? It's a little bit annoying to have to carry the little piece of plastic around in case I decide not to use my vf-2 but if it does actually protect the port I will keep doing it.

On a side note; I love the vf-2. I don't think I would keep the camera without having such a nice digital viewfinder and the option to take it on and off is awesome. I enjoy using the one legacy lens I own as of now with it but I think I will end up not using the vf-2 so much while doing street photos just so I can can keep the low profile(big reason I got the Oly e-p2 and not using my dslr.)
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    no, it's ugly
  3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    put that back in your orignal box.. and the VF-2 in awesome.. on my camera most of the time.. especially in bright Sunlight and Street shooting.. tip it up land look down.. not as good as tilt screen on EPL3, but it works and you are inconspicuous.. LOL
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Apparently the odd man out, I actually do keep the plastic hotshoe/accessory port cover in my E-PL1 when I'm not using the VF-2. It also fits neatly into the VF-2 port cover so I don't lose it when I mount the VF-2 to the camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Not completely odd as I do exactly the same on my E-PL2.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I almost never take the finder off. I'm pretty addicted. Even when I'm not using it, I never know when it might come in handy. I'm using it a LOT more than I thought I would.

I keep the plastic bit in the viewfinder case, btw.

p.s. when you tilt the viewfinder up and look down into it, people think you;re using a film camera or are a weirdo....perfect for street shooting....they totally ignore you.
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My VF-2 never comes off the body, so the plastic cover stays in the bottom of my camera bag.
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'll keep the cover until I lose it....which is inevitable. :redface: Unlikely to replace it...
  9. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    I save it inside camera box. My VF-2 never leave its hotshoe throne :p
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Same here lol... I'll keep mine on if the VF2 is not on the camera, until I lose it. In which case, the answer will be, "no, I don't keep it on". :tongue:
  11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I do as well.

Although the VF-2 is on there about 90% of the time. When it's on there I too usually shove the hotshoe cap into the VF-2 cover and stash it in the bag.

I added some tape to the cover, because it was constantly slipping out, but before I did that I ordered like 5 of the covers from Oly. In white, as the black ones are like $5something, and the white ones were something like $.50 each... except I'm pretty good about no losing the cap and still have the original black one... uh, anyone need a white hotshoe Oly cap? :wink:
  12. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Alright thanks, my vf-2 will probably be on my camera 80% of the time atleast but I don't think I will use the cover when it's off unless I end up shooting in some iffy conditions which is probably unlikely. I think I might go ahead and tuck the cover away in my camera box right now.
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My E-PL1 had lost the cover before I bought it. No big deal, since there are no accessories available that I want to use with it.
  14. I try but that piece has a preference for being on the floor in difficult to retrieve sites.
  15. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Port Protector

No. I replaced it with a hotshoe bubble level.
  16. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    I lost it in the first hour of usage
  17. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The VF2 is far too large to sit permanently on my E-PM1 and I'm not a fan of flash so yes, the cover is always on.
  18. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I keep everything that doesn't tear.
  19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I don't trust the VF-2 on there 100% of the time without a locking mechanism, but use a flash so often at my office that the cover is in my bag somewhere. I REALLY wish the VF-2 had a more positive lock. That's my biggest complaint about my Oly m4/3 experience so far... really!
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The little plastic 'protector' is easy to lose. I lost the one on my XZ-1 after a few weeks. So as soon as I got the E-PM1, I took it off and stuffed it in the box.

Theoretically, the contacts of the hotshoe and accessory port could be shorted or damaged if left exposed, but I've yet to hear of a single case where that little piece of plastic was the difference.

• Like Like x 1