Do you have an offsite backup? You should!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GingerCat, Apr 18, 2011.

1. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    Following on from the discussion on organising your photos, I thought it was worth starting a new thread for this.

In the last two years a relative of mine and a friend-of-a-friend have had devastating house fires and, along with everything else, lost all the photos they'd ever taken.

I know everyone thinks it'll never happen to them, and for the vast majority of people it doesn't, but every time it happens, there's someone sitting saying 'I didn't think it could happen to me'.

It's simple enough to copy your photos onto an external drive and keep them in work, or in a relative's house.

Think about it.

</ preachiness>
    • Like Like x 2
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I am a backup freak. I have multiple redundant backups, locally and in the cloud. I live in earthquake-prone southern CA, so I don't trust having a backup at work ... I want a copy in another part of the country.

I use the following tools (on Mac): Retrospect, Chronosync, Dropbox, and CrashPlan.
  3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    If you post your photos online with a decent image hoster then you already have an off site backup by default. You just have to make sure it's a good hoster that keeps the originals, not like some social networking sites that scale to some tiny thing.
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Cloud backups are great until you need to download your images. It can take weeks to get images downloaded if you have many hundreds of gigabytes of files.

Another way to use the cloud is to use a service like dropbox to get files to a friend who can then back them up on physical media. You backup theirs and they backup yours. And if you delete the "cloud" files, after backup then it's also free.

5. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    How are you cloud-hosters managing the initial upload? 100 gigs of DNG's & TIFF's is a long slug, even on a fast 25/3 connection.

I'm about to revamp my backup platform, but for photos, a RAID box + external drive (to backup the important parts of the array) does the trick.
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    For JPEG's, sure. I do that with Flickr Pro. But Flickr doesn't do RAW.

Just let it run 24/7 until it's done. Took a couple months, honestly.
  7. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    I could never trust a third party to hold my photos. How do you know that a) they won't go bust, and b) they are secure from others. I speak as an ex-IT manager who in a past life had to investigate offsite storage for my employers.

But it's definitely a good idea to keep a backup hard drive at another location, even if it's only in your car.
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have a trick - I use something called Logmein Hamachi, You can use it to create a private virtual private network (VPN). I have a small network at home and I set up the VPN so his computer is on my network. I added a large external drive to his computer and I backup my data every evening to that drive as well as backup his computer to my server.

The center of this is Microsoft Windows Home Server on which I store all of my data including photos, videos, etc. as well as backups of the several computers around the house.

So all computers are backed up automatically to the server and then I copy the backups plus the folders such as my photos to my father's computer off-site. (for this I have written some scripts).
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This. I once uploaded 20GB to mozy. It was painful. And then I switched computers, it was painful again because nothing matched now. They could not get it to point correctly to my data. It didn't help that I was going from OSX -> Windows 7.

Normal S3 backups are expensive as hell still, IMO. So for me, it's keep a drive at work that I rotate out every few weeks. I haven't gotten to the point where I need multiple drives to accomplish it, so I'm not sure what i'll do if my shooting rate goes up significantly, heh. myabe by then we'll all have 50 up/down pipes and I can put up a remote server at a friend's place.