Do you have a lens weight-cap? Mine seems to be 300g.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D@ne, Jul 6, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I know this comment will get a lot of "my Canon lens(es) weigh over 2lbs each!" responses, but personally, I've found that on the e-m5, I'm not comfortable with a lens that weighs more than 300(ish) grams. I'm thinking the grip may alleviate this (I've not tried one), but I find that anything heavier gives some balance issues that make the camera uncomfortable in my hand.

Thoughts? Do I just need to go to the gym? :redface:
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I don't think it's a problem with you. The grip on the E-M5 simply sucks. The add-on grip is a must for any heavier lens, IMHO.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Depends a lot on how you hold the camera.

For me, the left hand is under the lens, and supports the weight. The right hand is simply for balance, and manipulating the controls. For really heavy bodies and lenses, a grip might help me (e.g. D700 and 80-200/2.8). But for the E-PM1 for example, I can comfortably hold shoot the Olympus 12-60. And I have small hands.

Of course, if you expect to shoot one-handed, then the grip would seem essential for almost any lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I do hold the camera with both hands (as you do), but still find that in general, my weigh limit has been reached, even if my left hand is supporting the lens. Maybe I need to balance things differently.
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    On my G3, I found the Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 lens a bit to heavy for me to use comfortably for an extended period; that weighs about 20-21oz IIRC from when I weighed it. I shoot with a 25mm f/0.95, 14-140 and 100-300 just fine though. I think the 100-300 is close to the same weight but distributed more evenly so it doesn't feel as tippy and front forward.

That's not to say I would never use the 17.5mm, but given the opportunity to use it and the 25mm Voigtlander side by side I preferred the 25mm comfort and it's a comfortable focal length, so other things being equal I went that route.