Do you have a "grab bag"?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Aug 15, 2015.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I make a point of keeping a camera/lens combo with a spare battery in a small bag in our main living space. If something appears or I have to leave quickly I have some photo-capability ready to go. My current version is an EM-10 with the Lumix 12-32 in a Crumpler Pleasure Dome (who picks these names?) bag. I'm really curious to hear what others do, if anything, for "imagencies".
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    My E-M10, 7.5FE, 12-40, 40-150 f2.8 and 1.4TC are in a ThinkTank MMi30 that frequently gets dragged along when I head out for meetings or relaxation.
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I have a grab insert, a Tenba BYOB 9 that I use in various messenger bags. E-M5 ii w/ O17 & O45. 2 extra batteries and 2 extra SD cards, lens pen, microfiber cloth, etc.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    My camera cupboard is in my bedroom, and my bag rack is right next to the door so I can reach it with one step from the corridor :) While placing it there had nothing to do with feeling the need to be always ready for whatever occasion might present itself (it was the only spot left, as a matter of fact), it makes grabbing any of my favourite setups and heading out a breeze. To make this even easier, there are several bags of various sizes in that rack for different gear, some packed and ready to go, others empty so that I can put in whatever I want to take with me at the moment. It's very convenient.

The camera I'm most likely to grab in a hurry (or if I'm unsure of what I'm going to encounter) is the LX100 at the moment - it's small enough never to get in the way, well enough equipped for most situations and delivers really nice images. If it's probable enought that photography isn't going to be mostly a sideshow, the E-M10 is more likely to make it - but because I prefer using the 12-40mm zoom, it calls for a bigger (and dedicated) bag.

Besides, having cameras lying around is more or less the ground state of my flat ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    My grab bag-not actually bag at all-is small deuter waist pack. Fits my E-P5 + prime lens and spare batteries just right.
    I don't like hanging camera over shoulder or neck, but want to access it immediately whenever I need. And I want to carry it everywhere every time. Thus I choose waist pack.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Cameras are always on a shelf above my desk and an LX3 or EP1 lives in the car just in case.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Right now it's my LX100 in a National Geographic A1212.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    iPhone... :hiding:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    My e-m1 with the 17/1.8 is my go everywhere kit. I dont bother with a bag, just chuck it in the console of the jeep, or in my laptop bag if im headed to work.
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

My main kit is customized for the job/trip each time. For example, if shooting a baseball game I'll take the 100-300mm and leave the 9-18mm at home with the portrait stuff and so on. I guess my "grab bag," for unexpected shots, is the PM2 in a tiny bag with a small flash, extra battery and one other lens, which is always in my car.
  11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    My everyday carry is an EM5 and 12-40 with spare battery and SD cards in A Domke F-5XA. I will occasionally swap the 12-40 for something else, but the zoom covers such a wide array of things it has become the go-to lens even over the P20mm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    There are two E-M1's, a fresh battery and a BR sling sitting on my desk next to me. 7-14 and Nocticron have been mounted for more than a month and don't seem to be coming off any time soon, but that's another story.
  13. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    Yep, got one of those at the office with an E-PL1, the 14-42 EZ, 40-150 and a spare batery. The bag itself isn't a camera bag, but a "manpurse".

At home the camera bag (whatever I'm using that day) is almost always prepared and nearby, but I keep a couple film cameras always at arms reach from the exit door.

14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My murse is an old Olympus LSH1220 which is the lens bag that came with the 50-200mm 4/3 lens. I have used it to fit various combinations of up to two camera bodies with the help of a microfibre cloth to keep things apart, but now it will mostly contain a camera body with the 12-40mm f2.8 mounted, an extra battery or two, lenspen, lip gloss, make-up mirror, and a spare pair of panties.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    We found the honest man.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    image. I'm usually outside with e-m1 and 12-40 pro in a small bag.
    If not this bag is ready for the go.
    E-m1 with 12-40 pro, e-m10 40-150 pro and 17, 45 1.8 in small pockets.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    GM1 with 12-32mm. No bag required
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I carry my Billingham Hadley Pro everyday as my daily bag that I carry with me every time I step outside. It always has at least my E-M5 Mk.II and my X100T along with three lenses, extra batteries, extra memory cards as well as some personal effects.
  19. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a bag I got at the Fossil store that I carry everywhere with me. In it at all times are my EM5 w/Oly 17/2.8 attached, my Bower 7.5mm fisheye, 2 spare batteries, my iPad, prescription sunglasses, lens/glasses cleaning supplies, and various other things I like to have with me at all times. Sometimes I will throw my Oly 60mm macro or the small but versatile 40-150 if I think I may need a little reach.

I have an Fstop Guru bag that always has my EM1 w/either the Oly 150/2 or 50-200 SWD attached, Oly 60mm macro, EC-14, EC-20, multiple spare batteries, MeFoto tripod, Jobu Jr. gimbal, Blackrapid Backpack Strap, and various other photography related items that I like to have in the field. If heading out I will typically thru the EM5, Oly 17/2.8, Bower Fisheye, and if I feel the need either the 150 or SWD (which ever is not attached to the camera) into the bag also.
  20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do... its my sorry excuse for multiple bags. LOL

Ona Bowery Brown -> EPL1, batteries, 12, 25, 45, 14-42EZ, FL300 flash
    Ona Bowery Smoke -> MM (or M9), batteries, 50mm Lux, 35mm Lux, orange and yellow filters, 24D flash.
    Small Fossil bag with insert -> EM5, 12-35, 35-100 (sometimes the 100-300). Battery in camera and in grip. FL600R flash

They all sit in a cabinet by the front door. I just grab and go.