Do you have a good external hard drive ?

Rather than NAS I use DAS. I have a 4-bay IcyDock Black Vortex conected to my PC and it has WD Gold drives in it. Everything is duplicated 3 times so if a drive fails I am still good. Some of these Gold drives are going strong after 5 years. I use GoodSync to manage automatic incremental backups to each drive.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
The WD Enterprise class drives are Gold.

Red are for NAS, Black for gaming, Blue is generic, Purple is for surveillance, Green for energy efficiency, Ultrastar for data centers.

The WD Elements desktop drives that I've owned had a Green drive inside.
Interesting. The Elements and Easystores that I purchased in the past year had Red drives inside. The one that did not ran very hot from boot up and I returned it for another one that ended up having a Red. Welcome to the HD lottery.

--Ken

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes it sucks that they lost data, but the point is your blanket statement implying that WD drives just mysteriously lose data is not correct. It was specific older drives no longer supported by WD which were hooked up to the internet, had their final FW updates released 6 years ago, and were specifically attacked to exploit a flaw in the FW. None of that has anything to do with buying a simple USB based backup drive as we are discussing here unless someone was suggesting a specific internet connected version, then the warning about the WD Live drives may be pertinent.

Also not correct...
https://www.extremetech.com/internet/324249-western-digital-code-widespread-hard-drive-hacks
Do you have financial involvment with WD or something? They've been caught lying about their HD drive speeds, lying about the magnetic recording device, it's taken independent, 3rd parties to figure out why their external HD's wiped themselves and they've only tried to distance themselves from it, and you don't think it's prudent to be a bit wary of them? And then on top of that try the victim blaming angle.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you have financial involvment with WD or something? They've been caught lying about their HD drive speeds, lying about the magnetic recording device, it's taken independent, 3rd parties to figure out why their external HD's wiped themselves and they've only tried to distance themselves from it, and you don't think it's prudent to be a bit wary of them? And then on top of that try the victim blaming angle.
And it just keeps on degenerating for WD. There's a problem with the company https://www.extremetech.com/computi...t-bait-and-switching-customers-with-slow-ssds

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
After quite a few years, I ended using large memory cards 256Gb in camera and a Synology at home. Individual HD’s does not work very well compared with redundant storage.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The PC building/overclocking nerds/elitists can be annoying but without their dedication these scams might never be revealed.

I have said before I am looking to build a new desktop to replace my 12 year old machine, and I even posted a potential build here, with WD drives, but seems like I will have to look for alternatives. My 640GB WD Black HDD is still going strong after 12 years, but WD seems more concerned about short term gain than long term consequences nowadays, just like too many people. Sad. Seagate Barracudas with measly 2 year warranty is not about the long term either, but at least they are open about it.

And somehow I doubt that slow or faulty SSDs from WD, Adata, and Crucial is the end of all this. You know what they say about how times of crisis reveals people's true nature, and this pandemic has certainly done that. I might have to avoid building any new computers until the pandemic is over and this chip shortage sorted out, until things are more back to normal and everything has been revealed.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe you can add Samsung to that list as well:
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...atest-ssd-manufacturer-cheating-its-customers

As I said, WD, Adata, Crucial, Samsung, SSDs are not the end of all this. Times of crisis reveals people's true nature, and they say the same thing about money too, and this is both about a crisis and about money. So if you can it is probably better to wait until this is over and everything is revealed before you spend too much on SSDs or on computers in general.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not too fussed about it, I would be extremely p!ssed if I was the owner of one of the original HD's that spontaneously deleted all my data though. A bit of speed difference here or there is not the end of the world, but deleting data is far more annoying with much more serious consequences.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
The tempest in the teapot regarding ssd's is QLC flash. It can be slow. It can be fast. Depends on the use case. I have the Crucial X6, .5 TB, QLC. I use it for backing up ooc stills before they are loaded into my iPad Pro or Mac. As it’s QLC I've been monitoring my speeds at every transfer. Stills, I hit a touch over 600MB/s. A 65 GB video transfer, the same. I use the usb c cable that came with the drive or an Apple Thunderbolt cable as I don’t trust the entire usb interconnect industry.

I have no problem with QLC as my use case, as a photography enthusiast, results in speeds that are just fine with me.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The thing that actually bothers me is that this isn't an isolated case, this is widespread. At least four different companies engaging in such behaviour.

I don't really care about TLC vs. QLC. I hadn't even decided if I should get NVMe gen4 instead of gen3, even if the motherboard supports it. This will be my first desktop with any sort of SSD, so I think I am unlikely to push any of them to the limit. I am only going to use SSD for OS, programs, games, not for transferring videos and other huge files on a daily basis. SSD speeds not really not important to me. But still, it is the principle of the matter. If they are willing to mislead us and cut corners on obvious stuff as this, things that can actually affect performance and performance-per-watt of an SSD, which can be properly measured, then where else have they been misleading us on? Where else have they been cutting corners? As I said, this isn't about an isolated case of one company.

I just want to build a modest machine. I just edit photos on Capture One and play indie games. I don't need 3 video cards running in SLI or Crossfire. Integrated GPU will probably be enough, at least for the near future. I've used the same computer for 12 years, and I think all those PC enthusiasts that constantly upgrade and obsess about benchmarks are annoying. I hate that overclocking culture. But even as low as my demands are, I am less confident that I can find good parts now. I was thinking of using WD SSD and HDD for my build, my demands so low that I am still willing to use an HDD to store most of my files, but can I still trust them?

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
The thing that actually bothers me is that this isn't an isolated case, this is widespread. At least four different companies engaging in such behaviour.

I don't really care about TLC vs. QLC. I hadn't even decided if I should get NVMe gen4 instead of gen3, even if the motherboard supports it. This will be my first desktop with any sort of SSD, so I think I am unlikely to push any of them to the limit. I am only going to use SSD for OS, programs, games, not for transferring videos and other huge files on a daily basis. SSD speeds not really not important to me. But still, it is the principle of the matter. If they are willing to mislead us and cut corners on obvious stuff as this, things that can actually affect performance and performance-per-watt of an SSD, which can be properly measured, then where else have they been misleading us on? Where else have they been cutting corners? As I said, this isn't about an isolated case of one company.

I just want to build a modest machine. I just edit photos on Capture One and play indie games. I don't need 3 video cards running in SLI or Crossfire. Integrated GPU will probably be enough, at least for the near future. I've used the same computer for 12 years, and I think all those PC enthusiasts that constantly upgrade and obsess about benchmarks are annoying. I hate that overclocking culture. But even as low as my demands are, I am less confident that I can find good parts now. I was thinking of using WD SSD and HDD for my build, my demands so low that I am still willing to use an HDD to store most of my files, but can I still trust them?
Tiny sample size but perhaps of use to you. I was a fairly early adopter of ssd's. OCZ in 2009. Since then, other than 10TB of video and a TimeMachine backup, I only use ssd's. That’s for clones as well, which are the primary backups for all internals and externals (other than the aforementioned video). Aside from the early OCZ's in '09, my ssd reliability is far better than any experience I’ve ever had with spinners. I have a 128 GB ssd from 2009 in a media server that’s still working just fine as a boot drive. It gets daily use as it serves both media and working files.

I buy Crucials, mostly MX series. Not the quickest but even with Thunderbolt, I prefer to go with what I know have been rock solid for me. I now have 10 Cucials, some dating back to 2010, all are working just fine.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Well, I don't backup my data by hard disk or whaterver, I back up my files to the cloud.
one of the best ways to prevent data loss if, for example, your hard drive crashes, you accidentally delete important files, or you fall victim to a ransomware attack. Even if you're among the very few who diligently perform local backups at regular intervals, you could still lose data if you don't store backups off-site.
Chris, :Welcome: to this friendly forum.

May I suggest that both local and cloud backup is essential. Your cloud backup is subject to a single point of failure anywhere in your internet connection, including the financial stability of your cloud storage provider.

I'm definitely a belts and braces man ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I don't backup my data by hard disk or whaterver, I back up my files to the cloud.is one of the best ways to prevent data loss if, for example, your hard drive crashes, you accidentally delete important files, or you fall victim to a ransomware attack. Even if you're among the very few who diligently perform local backups at regular intervals, you could still lose data if you don't store backups off-site.
One problem with online backups is you can easily bump into data limits. For about a year, the internet to our house used a router that used cell phone technology. Many cell phone plans can either start running up extra charges if you exceeded the data limit for a month, or the connection speed drops. At the time we had the connection, I think the only option was pay more money, and there were a few months we got hit with extra charges. I generally got into the habit of taking my photo album and putting it on a laptop to update my external web server from locations other than the house.

Another problem is if you use it while traveling, many hotels and internet cafes have a small bandwidth cap, that you might not be able to upload the images from a days shoot.

A third issue is what happens if your online company goes bankrupt? I've seen this happen several times where people were using an online 'free' service, and eventually it went away. Even if you are paying for the service, nothing guarantees that it will continue to be around.

Last edited by a moderator:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Guys, don't respond to spam. New user, with generic username, especially with a number in it, with their first post promoting some sort of paid service with a link to that service's website, without even actually mentioning the name of that service anywhere within the text of the post. Such links are meant to increase that website's presence in search engine results or something like that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom