Do you feel Olympus lenses render better on Olympus Bodies?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Just a general opinion - to those who have Olympus bodies and have or have used lenses by both Olympus and Panasonic - do you feel that the Olympus lenses render better (with regards to color/contrast/sharpness) than Panasonic when used on your Olympus bodies?
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    For me nope

Not even worth discussing... Lenses have their individual characteristics.. the body has no influence

nothing renders 'better'... just different. and even that is a marginal difference within the big picture

I shoot/have shot with 3 Panasonic lenses 14, 20 and 25, and 17, 75, 300 micro 4/3 and 50macro and 50-200 4/3

All are great lenses

If you are having issues... its not with the gear

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA

I've used Panny G2 and G5 and Oly EM10. They produce files that differ. But the differences are similar across all lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think my Oly 25mm tends to produce slightly warm, saturated images, which prior to the GX85 I would have said looked less saturated/warm on a Panny body than an Oly. However I think that's wholly due to Panasonic JPEG colors being a bit less punchy, since with the punchier GX85 JPEGs the results from the 25mm look just like they did on the EM10.

You may find more CA, vignetting or distortion using either manufacturer's lenses on the opposite bodies simply because the cameras correct for these things, and Oly bodies do more correcting with Oly lenses and vice versa.
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The Olympus lenses seem to focus faster than the Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Never really saw a consistent brand based image difference
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually vignetting and distortion correction are specified by the m4/3 standard, only C/A is left out.

One major difference is the different filter stacks used for the sensors, Olympus let more UV in as they like to filter in the lens, Panasonic prefer to filter on the body - often leads to more purple fringing and flare from certain Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Are you sure? I believed that Panasonic has been correcting C/A for a long time, and that Olympus only implemented this feature with the TruPic VII processor, first seen on the E-M1, then the following OM-D: E-M10, E-M5 Mk II...

I did not know this point. It seems that it can be fixed with the right UV filter.
    Purple Fringing with Panasonic MFT Lenses on Olympus MFT Bodies
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    He meant that CA is left out of the standard, not that they don't do it.

Distortion and vignetting are in the M43 standard so they always work regardless of which lens and which body and who made them. This is a brilliant feature of M43 as it has allowed the building of smaller lighter lenses.

CA in Panasonic has been there some time, but it isn't known when it started or with which bodies.
    CA in Olympus only works with the bodies starting with release of the E-M1, however it does work with old Olympus lenses.

No one has yet managed to work out properly which combinations of Panasonic bodies and Olympus lenses and vice versa provide CA correction or don't. The manufacturers both prefer to keep this secret, apparently believing that if we know it will increase purchases of their rivals lenses.
  9. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I only have the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 lens while all my other lenses are Olympus. I use Olympus cameras. While hard to compare the 12-35 to my other lenses I have not noticed big differences in those sorts of things. If anything, I feel (for me anyway) that a lot of those variables can be chalked up to the operator's experiece and knowledge of their tools (both camera equipment and post processing). I see people with the most basic equipment get amazing results and I see people with the top of the line stuff churning out crap.