Do you buy extended warranty on your cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I recently bought an Olympus EPL3 ( already sold though ) and dealer was offering me 3 yrs extended warranty only for AUD79 but I declined . In the recent times the MFT prices have dropped considerably as newer models keep on coming every six months to one year. So I have stopped buying extended warranties as I don't plan to keep any camera body more than an year or so until unless its really exceptional or I fall in love with it( My second Olympus EPL2 in six months and I love it) .
    I am just curious to know what others do? Do you still purchase extended warranties or you have stopped as well ?Of course I buy extended warranty on my lenses .:smile:
  2. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I don't buy extended warranties. In my experience if there is going to be a problem, it shows itself soon. With the rapid depreciation of the M43 bodies, I can't see why anyone would jump on an extended warranty.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't. They're lucky if they can get me to pay full price for a camera, nevermind add a warranty. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My logic is very simple and straightforward e.g I bought Olympus EPL2 within a week of its launch and paid AUD 799 .If I have to send it for repairs now it will cost me a lot whereas a refurbished EPL2 is available only for USD369 and new one for USD499. Yes if there is anything wrong it will show up soon and moreover I keep my all gadets very well so nothing goes wrong .Then why to pay extra money?I prefer to buy extra battery or a case for the same sum of money.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I don't tend to buy them, especially from third parties. But I did opt for for an extension of the one-year warranty on my Pentax K-5 to a total of three years. The longer warranty was from Pentax, cost only $20 and included a free camera inspection and tune-up even if I had no warranty repairs any time during the three years. I'd say that's a good deal.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't do it for bodies either. Don't keep 'em long enough, and the replacement cost is generally pretty low after 12 months. For lenses, it depends. The SWD motor in my 12-60 has failed twice now. An extended warranty would have covered the first time, but not the second.

One thing I don't like about Olympus is that their regular warranty period on their lenses is only 1 years and the extension only gives your 3 years. Nikon gives you 5.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Extended warranties are huge profit makers for the retailers and the companies that back them. They're simply not a good deal.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This fact seems to be so widely publicized that it is hard to believe anyone is buying these warranties.
  9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Buying extended warranty means one less reason to buy a new camera

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well, only 5 reasons left then:
    • Temporary cure for the nagging hurt of GAS
    • Hoping to finally buy the camera that makes you a great photographer
    • Knowing that you have the latest and greatest features
    • Not wanting to be seen as a dinosaur carrying a G1
    • DxO showing your present camera is crap: noise all over the place and no dynamic range
    To answer the question, I don't buy extended warranties on photo gear, especially cameras as I tend to sell them well within the extended warranty periods and Panasonic seems to have a well-earned reputation for reliability. There's this thing with extended warranty, which is in fact insurance: insurance companies make a profit with them, so you don't and consequently I only insure risks that I'm not able to cope with on my own financially. And what do I do with the huge amount of legacy lenses? Well, I'll just have to buy another one if a lens breaks down, probably at a premium because I don't want to be without it for too long.
  11. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I don't cause the camera body depreciate very quickly. I even bought my GF2/GH2 without warranty. So I saved around a 100 bucks. And most of the time in my country, there's a disclaimer underneath the warranty, that it doesn't void, broken lenses, LCD(s) or Flash. Which makes it even more pointless to get the warranty. Thats me though.
  12. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    So is insurance. Which is what an extended warranty is. Some folks feel the need. For an item this inexpensive (relatively) I do not as a rule purchase extended warranties. However, I do not dogmatically rule it out...

Pentax offers an extended warranty that covers an additional two years and includes a free CLA during the warranty period. For twenty dollars US. When last I used the CLA my camera came back spotless and with an up-revved Autofocus firmware that cannot be obtained and installed by the user.

So I don't dismiss the idea, and when something like the Pentax deal comes along, I do purchased extended coverage. I've never needed it. But peace of mind has a value. And if I did need it, I'd be glad that I did and all the money the vendor makes on other people would matter not at all to me. Just like with my car, my house, my health.

13. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    The main reason I purchased one is that you can get a camera fixed if it breaks for any reason, (i.e. dropping it) that is not covered with the factory warranty.

As a general rule I do not buy extended warranty but in this case I did because my first E-PL3 broke within a week and I had to ship it back and get a new one. Since the price of the camera went down by $35 (got credit) I thought I would apply it to a warranty being that this is the first "expensive" camera that I've owned. I now don't have to worry about one careless moment whether it's my fault or not.
  14. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I never seem to keep a camera long enough to make it worthwhile.
  15. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I've found extended warranties are rarely money well spent.
  16. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Extended warranty

The camera specific warranties are far to restrictive to be useful. Read fine print, most will not cover for immersion in water (even heavy rain), being dropped or other most common reasons a camera gets damaged. Also keep in mind last time I looked at fine print, you might get "equivalent" (refurb) replacement. So what's the value here?

If you really feel compelled, look at homeowner/renters policy upgrade as some companies have very reasonable policies that not only cover perils above, but fire, theft from rental car, baggage, or hotel room and all sorts of more likely scenarios. It also includes everything like my tripod and filters up to maximum, not just camera.