Do You Actually LIKE The OM Pyramid ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Feb 9, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Discussion on this thread-

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/olympus-om-d-ep3-21389/index2.html

prompts me to ask the title question. Personally I don't like it at all. I preordered the camera based on specs, Oly's reputation and religious faith. :big grin:

But I did it despite my lack of enthusiasm for the camera's aesthetic appeal. I am wondering if Oly is paying enough attention to the interwebs to pick up on this. I see a few heralding the look for nostalgic reasons but seems like everybody else thinks its dumb.

I think it may go away in future iterations. What think ya'll? :smile:

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I prefer the E-P3 design to the E-M5 design, but I like the E-M5 design in it's own right.

So, yes, I like the pyramid.

3. nueces snapper

Really? THAT much?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am not a fan of the pyramid, and prefer the VF on the left side, but when I watch videos of the camera in people's hands, it doesn't look at all bad. When you add the grip, it even looks "Pro" -- so I think it's a different aesthetic, not a better/worse one. If the images are a good deal better than my EPM1, then I might end up with both.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes. THAT much.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, though, I'll have to see how it looks in person. On screen, I really like it.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I thought the G3 hump wouldn't bother me, but surprisingly it did. So if I'm to take sides, I'm a bit on the "not like" side.

7. nueces snapper

OK :biggrin:

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like the pyramid okay for cosmetics. Not crazy cool, I gotta pick this thing up, but I think it looks nice. If (probably more like when) I order, it will be because of the new sensor, IBIS and tilt screen.

From a utility standpoint, I am a bit concerned that the pyramid peak will make it slightly tougher to jacket pocket or going in/out of my bag. For that reason, I would rather they had ditched the smartshoe port and shortened/flattened the pyramid. The peak just seems like wasted real estate.

But... who knows, maybe this will not be as big a deal as I am thinking. I mean, it's a little snug, but I am able to get both my E-P3 and GXR with EVFs mounted into my little Domke bag.

9. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    I don't mind cameras looking retro [X100 etc] but in this case I think OM-D WTF E-M5 just looks OLD

10. nueces snapper

I hope the included flash is worth using. With the flash clipped on top it looks pretty cool. I know squat about flash. From the published guide number how powerful is the thing?

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Cosmetically, I think it's out of proportion with the rest of the camera. Actually pretty ugly. Functionally, I have no issues. I think a centrally mounted viewfinder offers both advantages and disadvantages compared to a top-left RF style viewfinder, but feel an eye-level finder is a must.

The fact that I think it's ugly will have to impact on whether I decide to buy one, though.

12. nueces snapper

Exactly. :smile:

13. HuX

HuX Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    I love the way the camera looks on a whole, especially with the grips attached.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    No

No i dont like it, but whats more important it adds height, so the camera will be harder to put and remove from a bag / pouch.
    But i already preordered it :p

I resisted pulling the trigger on the EP3, but this time i feel its a big enough improvement .

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    To me it just looks like a "regular" camera. I'm 50 years old and learned to shoot on 70's and 80's slrs. I've also used rangefinder cameras extensively, not because of their looks, but for the big bright viewfinder and fast focusing.

The Pen cameras are not "rangefinder styled". Rangefinders have two or three little windows on the front. Pens are styled like compact digicams, a form I've never warmed up to.

Getting rid of the hump and moving the viewfinder into the main body of the camera uses up scarce real estate that could be used for physical controls.

Back to the question. I like it both for looks and function.

Fred

16. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I was a little put off at first, until I saw someone actually holding one, vs the weird photoshop product mock-up. Then it grew a little on me- and now I love it.

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Proportions are off. It looks like a tophat, like they squeezed it in. Not an elegant execution.

As it stands, the NEX is my personal favorite in terms of design. Lets go of the past. Starts with a clean slate. Looks forward, not back.

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    As I said in another thread, I really LOVE the style of my E-P3, and don't mind too much the 2 dials on the back of the camera rather than on top. However, I also kind of like the retro-looking pyramid on the E-M5.

19. nueces snapper

Now that I think about it I agree completely. I am not crazy about the look of my EP3 and was never happy with the lack of external controls. I especially missed having a rear and front control wheel. I went for the size and jpegs. Never even use the touch screen though I may take it up with the tilting OM screen. The pens are too 'digicammy'.

20. nueces snapper

Well if we want to speak of funny looking ... how about that strange looking K-01? :biggrin: :biggrin: