Test Do what you can't. Chasing dogs with the 20mm

Karl_Jr

Mu-43 Regular
Everyone has a preference when it comes selecting primes. Some like it wide, some like it tight. I tried but never been able to bond with the 35mm equivalent. 40mm equivalent on the other hand feels perfect, almost fits like a glove.

Anyway, because of some logistics problems, I could get the 20 mm just recently, and that is after getting the PL 15mm, P25mm and P42.5mm all f1.7 primes.

Since this is a mature (let's not use the term "old") lens, there are many reviews around. People like it for the size and the rendering, but are not happy with the focusing speed. So today I decided to push the limits of the lens and chased the dogs in the backyard, to see if I can keep up with them. Let's see some results first, and then I will share my experience and insights

P1001210.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After trying to lick my camera, I told him that what he did was not OK. He is apologizing for his behavior.

P1001138.jpg

She is still suspicious. "is it (the camera) a toy or what ?"

P1001080.jpg

P1001156.jpg

For this kind of work, weather proofing is a must !

P1001093.jpg

She wants a pose from her good side

P1001182.jpg

I know that this is an extreme and demanding case. (Ultra) fast moving subjects like these monkies require very fast AF and a good shutter discipline. As expected, both my skills and my equipment (GX9+20mm) are not the best for this job, so my keeper rate was a little bit low. Plus the fov is not right for capturing dogs anyways. It is too tight when they are playing around.

The color reproduction of the lens is OK. In the same ballpark as the P25mm f1.7, and obviously behind the PL 15mm. Unfortunately the images didn't respond well to different picture styles. But the clarity and the level of details is just right. I can see why this is an excellent B&W lens where you don't need (vibrant) colors.

The lens is so small that you can't grip the camera with your left hand. I am not complaining but this is something I am used to, hold the camera from the lens if I need to use my right hand.

In this particular situation, like animals and small children, PL 15mm is a better option because it's faster and wider. If accurate color reproduction is desired, again PL 15mm is more suitable. For any other scenario, which is 95% of what I shoot, the 20mm is a great tool. Fast (enough), small, light and produce very nice images.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I'm with you on the 20mm focal length. It's my goldilocks; just right.

I've never noticed color issues with mine but then I always shoot raw and adjust as preferred in post. The autofocus seemed really slow when I got it but after a few months of it being what's on my camera 90% of the time I'm used to it. As long as you don't EXPECT lightning fast AF then you aren't disappointed by its absence.

Karl_Jr

Mu-43 Regular
I'm with you on the 20mm focal length. It's my goldilocks; just right.

I've never noticed color issues with mine but then I always shoot raw and adjust as preferred in post. The autofocus seemed really slow when I got it but after a few months of it being what's on my camera 90% of the time I'm used to it. As long as you don't EXPECT lightning fast AF then you aren't disappointed by its absence.

Yes I think it's about expectations. When you get used to the focusing speed, you will know what to expect.
The color on the other hand, after using the PL15mm, I found a little bit dull. But again,it's more than enough for 95% of the cases.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My favourite lenses for my dogs are, in ascending order; 4th place, 25mm 1.7 panasonic
3rd place, 45mm Panasonic macro.
2nd place, the 60mm Olympus macro.
1st place, and best of all I found for me, the 100mm -300 mm Panasonic telephoto zoom.
Pretty much the exact opposite of your findings!
Haha, guess it doesn’t really matter, just get out and get pic of ya mutts and enjoy them.

Karl_Jr

Mu-43 Regular
My favourite lenses for my dogs are, in ascending order; 4th place, 25mm 1.7 panasonic
3rd place, 45mm Panasonic macro.
2nd place, the 60mm Olympus macro.
1st place, and best of all I found for me, the 100mm -300 mm Panasonic telephoto zoom.
Pretty much the exact opposite of your findings!
Haha, guess it doesn’t really matter, just get out and get pic of ya mutts and enjoy them.

You either have chiuhahuas, or let them loose in the open fields where they go for a long run.
To shoot a dog with that 100-300, you have to stand very far.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, if that is your thing than good

Latest threads

Top Bottom