Do the new sensor cameras have red skin tone issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Dec 24, 2012.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I read online that the e-pm2 tends to produce red skin tone colours, and it was proven when I took pictures of people during a Christmas eve party.

Do the e-pl5 and OMD have this same problem since they are using the same sensor?

Are there any settings I can tweak for this problem?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not that I've noticed.

Post a photo example.

3. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I haven't noticed that with my OM-D, in fact I find it renders skin tones very nicely.

4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Perhaps those having issues with WB issues turn off the oly menu option for keep warm colors?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oops on phone ! Oly menu option Keep warm colors turn this off.

6. Bacio

Bacio New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Both - for photos and LCD display.

Bacio (Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk)

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Every Olympus I've used (PL1, PM1, P3, OMD) produced skin tones that felt a bit shifted towards red. I thought that was just part of the punchy look. If you're shooting JPEGs, try the Portrait color setting.

8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    If you are using Lightroom, have a look at the Huelight camera profiles.

9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    normally i dont change the mode, I just leave it as 'Natural'.

May try out again but i think Portrait is not suitable for group photos.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The third gen and newer Olympus bodies have some of the best AWB I've used. Just adjust in raw and if you're shooting jpeg, just adjust your color profile settings.

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    As Jonathan pointed out, the 16mp Oly's have very good AWB. The 12mp ones had a distinct red/magenta cast. If you don't like the AWB look, it can be adjusted. Just keep in mind that the LCDs don't have very accurate color (the E-PL5 I recently got is dreadful). If you don't have a calibrated monitor, then it's hard to say what you're seeing. I suggest getting an accurate grey card, or a printed set of grey steps taking a picture of it (in full mid day sun) and then checking the RGB values of the grey patches. The result should be R=G=B.

12. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Yes, I know the problem. However, I believe it's not a sensor issue but a conversion problem.
    In Apple Aperture 3 skintones in raw files looked horrible under tungsten light. For the first time ever I had to try hard to tweak a raw file to make it look as good as a jpeg. i hope Apple will fix this.
    With lightroom I didn't have this problem at all.

13. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I wouldn't hold your breath... it seems Apple is only providing the minimum of support for Aperture these days.

This amongst others are reasons I've just recently left Aperture for Lightroom.

14. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I haven't had my OM-D for very long now, so I'm still getting a feel for the camera. I shot some photos of family during xmas with the om-d using raw + jpg. JPG was set on ienhance.

I found RAW skin tones were a little bit 'sallow' and dull.

The jpg files with the ienhance gave photos a fair bit more pop, but I did find skin colours tended to be a bit more red/pink in colour.

I'll be trying out jpg with 'natural', see how skin colours turn out with that setting...

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What are you shooting under when you get these red skintones?

16. My complaint with the 16MP sensor in the newer Olympus cameras is not so much with the colour red but instead how it records the colour blue. I think that it has been set up to unnaturally darken and saturate blues.

17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    shot in doors under natural lighting. Asian skin tones. Looking back at the photos, the reds in general seem to be brighter and more saturated when shooting jpg ienhance vs raw.

18. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Natural mode selected.

Asians.

At night with yellow lighting (not halogen, but those energy saving type).