Do Silver Lenses look silly on a black OMD...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 10, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I know this has been discussed elsewhere but I always think the 45mm looks a but odd on the black bodied OMD, as did the 12mm I tried... is it just me?

I imagine they look much better on a Silver one but are there any other considerations with a Silver Body such as the quality of the coating or anything to worry about?

I have a Black OMD but it wasn't really chosen as I acquired it in a trade but I've had silver EP1 and EP2's just pondering swapping them over really...

2. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    IMO, yes. A silver camera (which is actually mostly black) looks good with any lens; black cameras look good with black lenses but a bit strange with silver lenses. OTOH, I don't think there are any fashion-police for photographic equipment - at least not yet. :)

Of course, when they do establish it, (the police, I mean) Leica equipment will be immune to any enforcement policies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I still think the black OM-D draws less attention, which is what I'm looking for with a small camera.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally I find this idea rather comical. You've got an OMD. It's a sizable camera. You are not as subtle as you think because it happens to be in black.

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sbw_qrDWKo

6. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got a black OMD and the 12mm and IMO it does look odd. the 12mm looks odd on my silver GX1 even. I don't know if it's the silver or just the general look of the lens itself but the 12mm seems to always draw attention when i pull it out.

I chose black for my OMD for the same reason as Biles, to be a little more stealthy. And I respectfully disagree with Promit, having a black body in crowded bar tends to draw less onlookers than a silver body. At least that's what I noticed when I've brought out the OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    So far as I know, there is no difference in image quality between black and silver cameras, nor between black and silver lenses.

Who cares what they look like? Photography is about making images that please. It isn't a fashion show.

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If we're going to get absolutely anal about it, I guess all-black cameras would be more sensitive to environment heat (ditto for lenses), in relation to lighter colored ones.

I have a black OM-D and, no, sorry, it doesn't look silly to me with silver lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Black camera, plus silver lens:banned:

10. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    So you wouldn't mind if your om-d was pink? I can agree with the OP as I have the black om-d. I will admit that I too consider the silver oly lenses on the black body...I'm hoping Oly eventually makes the same lens in both silver and black . But considering my luck I will have acquired all the silver lenses by the time they do so:smile:

What do you think...silver lens on one of these?
    http://youtu.be/nUXIT5OTSaQ

11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I scoffed at this idea a month or so ago, then I attached my 45/1.8 to my E-M5. For a while I thought it looked odd. Not that I really cared, but would've preferred black on black for sure. Then I adjusted to the look. Here are some pics:

em5blk2.

Here's black for comparison, though the girth of the 25/1.4 changes the look:
    em5blk1.

My favorite is silver on white:
    gf3slvr.

The little black 14/2.5 that lives on this camera looks pretty good as well, I think:
    gf314.

• Like Like x 3
  12. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    Definitely

I have a silver OMD and I think coordination and consistency in all aesthetics is essential. That is why even though I am from Colorado, when I go out shooting I only dress in an Oakland Raiders uniform. Sometimes the face mask on the helmet gets in the way a bit, but I guess that is what the tilt screen is all about. :eek:

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Not only do I think the silver 45 looks bad on a black OMD,I think the design just looks bad.It's needle-nosed!

Works great though.

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think it looks a little odd/goofy. I don't personally own any of the silver Oly lenses, though I certainly wouldn't avoid buying one just for that reason. Just my personal thoughts on it. Even odder is the mis-matching of silver finishes.

As for black OMD's being more stealthy, that seems kinda strange to me as I imagine it looks more like a DSLR which are typically black as well. Unless all those cameras are stealthy by being dark as well..

15. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Compared to my gripped 5D, the OM-D barely exists. Multiply this by five if shooting from the hip with the swivel LCD. You're definitely a lot less likely to notice a matte black camera than a shiny silver one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The main stealth feature of the OM-D is, IMO, that it looks like a shrinked version of the OM-40 film camera. Believe it or not, it seems most people don't consider film cameras that "threatening" today. Plus, it makes you look like an artist. :tongue::thumbup:

17. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think size matters way more than color (that's what she said).

The E-M5 with 12-50 probably looks not much different that typical super zoom to most people. The OM styling is likely lost on the unwashed masses ;). When you are comparing to even a Canon Rebel, much less a gripped 5D, it just is perceived differently by people.

I know this because I have experienced the difference in reactions. With a DSLR up to my eye people notice and react. With the E-M5, and other m4/3s cams I've used, it is much easier to avoid that reaction.

Even my child, who is used to a camera being pointed at her, likes it better when I don't pull out the "big camera".

18. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Anyone with mis-matched-lens-body-itis please send the offending articles to me immediately. Rest assured the item will be taken care of and sent to a good foster home.

:smile:

I have to admit the bulk of my lenses are black (mainly Zuiko's and Nikkor's) - the 17 & 45 are the only silver lenses I have.

From a purely aesthetic perspective I have more of a problem with the proportions of the lens than the colour. The 17 pancake is fine but the 45 seems tiny for the focal length IMHO. By way of contrast the old Pen F Zukio's in 38 & 40 seem better proportioned to an m43 body.

19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Used to think the same. Use a lens hood. It also protects the front element and reduces flare. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yup, I'm with you on that one, any silver lenses look horrible on the OM-D, or any other black body for that matter...... I quite fancied the 75mm until I found out it was silver only. Petty? Maybe to some, but I wouldn't buy a car in a colour I really disliked either, so don't see why my camera equipment should be any different.