Do people wear messenger bags in Europe?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Steven, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I'll be visiting Germany in a few months and in the process of choosing the right bag to carry camera and other stuff. I will probably be taking some sort of messenger style bag. Do people wear those in Europe? I wouldnt want to stand out too much if the current fashions are different :smile: :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Don't worry, you won't stand out. Quite often you see more messanger bags than backpacks.

Where is it you are going?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, in Europe as well as Asia. Backpacks are so backwards American... Messenger bags and satchels are what's used in the fashionable countries. :)

This is what I keep a lot of my camera gear in... Brought in directly from China. Fashionable men wear stuff like this out there, but out here where I live they think you're either gay or metro. In case you're wondering I'm the latter and not the former, thankyouverymuch. xD

leather_satchel_web.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Ned, that's a lovely murse (man purse....a statement, not a value judgment).

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hehe... thank you Luke! :redface:

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    mmmmhhh ... for Ned I think it woud be a value judgement.

G

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's hard to get the scale of that thing in the photo....do you have any shots of it with a camera next to it or in it? And a link, if possible please.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Ah yes backpacks are a dead giveaway that your a tourist. Definitely go with the murse. I like my Domke bags. They don't look scream CAMERA BAG!!!

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is exactly why I use an Acme messenger bag myself. But will be getting a Domke also shortly, for the cases I have to carry more stuff. :wink:

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But Europeans don't wear pants, so don't pack any...

• Like Like x 4
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Also WHITE athletic shoes are a dead giveaway.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thanks. I'll be in Berlin, Dresden, and also some places in Czech Rep and Austria.

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Hehe, but seriously, some clothing trends either don't quite make it over the oceans or just arrive at different intervals. For example, when in Italy about a year ago, I had this criss cross patten type shirt on that is quite common fashion in the States, and I got some strange looks. Apparently, nobody wears those there. well, noone that I could see. I should've known though, since it was made in Japan :biggrin:

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Perhaps if you stencil "DHL" on your messenger bag, you'll get a little extra business while you're there...?

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I discovered that "colorful" Americans are easy to stop. If navy blue hadn't been invented most of the Japanese would be naked.

G

16. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Absolutely, even in the UK now you probably see more messenger bags than backpacks. Used to be the case that 'manbags' were more something you would see in places like Italy but the UK has slowly caught up with our more open minded European neighbours. :smile:

I find a small backpack more comfortable but a messenger probably makes you look more like a local while a backpack makes you look more like a tourist.

17. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Is your Acme this one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acme-Made-Union-Messenger-Shoulder/dp/B004R6V99O/

I was thinking of getting that one, but as it's only available online and the pictures on amazon show it with a dslr it' s a bit hard to get an idea of size/suitability for m43.

I know they make another smaller one too, but the review on amazon was putting me off a bit and the other one looked a bit more flexible with 3 compartments (I sometimes take 2 bodies out with me, one with a 14-42 or 40-150 on and one with the 20mm on) :
    Acme Made Union Kit Messenger Shoulder Bag - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

18. I use an el cheapo insulated grammar school lunch bag. Ten bucks it holds my GF2 and EP-2 plus view finder and four lens, batteries, SD cards. Plus it looks like an el cheapo grammar school lunch bag.
    But then I am old and frugal.

19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yes, this is the one.

I have regularly used it carrying a DSLR (lens down in the middle compartment), plus a film SLR (Olympus OM-40), a couple of extra lenses and the usual first aid kit of SD cards, air blower, cloths, white balance cards, extra battery, paper notepad, etc. For :43: I only have the E-PL2 at the moment, so there is a lot of space left. I'd guess 2 bodies plus 4-4 lenses plus a flash would fit easily.

It is not as big on the outside as it looks in the pics, and, being black helps to hide its size. The main thing for me is that it weights nothing. The material is supposedly tear and water proof but haven't tested it as such. For the city I believe it's a very stylish and practical little bag.

20. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    And if you stencil "Al Qaeda" you'll get accommodation too! :smile: