Do peaple buy inerchangable lens cameras to be able change lenses?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ke7dbx, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I was wondering. How many people buy DSLRS and compact system cameras like micro four thirds cameras. Use other lenses other then the kit lens that came. With the unit. Seems like most of the non pros I see on the street. Mostly have the kit lenses and not much else.
  2. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
  3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I do! I can't think about spening money on something that is not a system...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Traditionally, interchangeable lens cameras have offered improved IQ and DOF control through larger sensors and through the use of specialized lenses. Those who stuck with the kit lens missed out on the second advantage but still got the first. I still haven't quite figured out what the purpose of using a kit zoom on the Pentax Q and to a lesser extent the Nikon 1 is.
  5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I buy interchangeable. Cameras to be able. To switch lenses. But I do know. Plenty of people. Who just want to look professional. So they buy dslr cameras. With no intentions of using. Anything else but the kit lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Inappropriate chuckle. At Zeph. Yer. Bad.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I see those 'pro-wannabes' all the time. Usually they carry various Canon Rebels with kit lenses. And with the built-in flash :biggrin:
  8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I bought one so I could change cameras over time and not change lenses:smile: Buy good lenses and keep them then upgrade bodys over time:biggrin:

Interchangeable camera system:eek: The wave of the future!!!
  9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I went out today with Olympus E-3, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 70-300mm and 105mm Sigma macro. Oh, and E-PL1 with 14-45mm (Panasonic) kit lens.

Took all my shots with the Pen and kit lens, the DSLR didn't come out the bag! :biggrin:
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't have real statistics on the matter, but common wisdom is "no" and looking around on the streets in a tourist area will bear this out. Dozens upon dozens of SLRs, all with kit lenses bolted on. Which is not meant to be a judgement, but I do find it confusing. For that matter, I find a lot of you to be quite confusing when it comes to lens choices.

I was talking to my dad yesterday, who is considering a NEX-7 purchase. I explained to him that my view was that the Sony bodies are better across the board, but the lens situation is pathetic. He responded that basically there was no interest in lenses. The goal is simply high image quality in that 18-55 range. I find that absolutely baffling. How can you not need a decent telephoto? And a fast lens for evening/night photos?
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Isn't that just projecting your requirements onto the photographic community in general?
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I bought the Pen to change the lens, but only once. The 20mm basically lives on my camera. I tend not to have more than three lenses for any system. All primes.
  13. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I came in here to say this. I bought a PEN, got the 20, and sold the kit zoom. The price to performance to size ratio can't be beat!
  14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010

Another reason for buying interchangeable lens camera is so you can tailor your own "fixed" lens camera rather than being stuck with the lens the camera company gives you.
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For me, the lens is the real tool. The body is just an accessory to support the lenses.
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
  17. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ned is right, the body is just the accessory. I treat camera bodies just like my women. If it's sexy I'll buy it! WAIT!!! That didn't come out right.......
  18. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I buy the lenses, no camera. I just like looking through 'em. :laugh1:

Seriously, most folks here (with a few exceptions) would be looking for at least a few good special purpose lenses. Much more so than the general camera or even m43 buying populace.

For those who just go with the 20mm Panny - I would think the Fuji X100 would have a strong allure. Yes more expensive, but APS-C sensor, and exceptional low-light performance. Still prefer the m43 and 20mm Panny over the Fuji? I'd very much like an X100, but I can't take the lens off to look through it. (See above, heh!).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Or did it?:wink: