Do only Panasonic lenses have the raised red pip to help guide mount?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steven, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I frequently change lenses in the dark and with Panasonic it's easy to just feel your way in. Not so with only Olympus one I have , 45mm. Is it this way with all Olympus lenses?

2. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    AFAIK it is...jfyi I used some Sugru on my lenses and body (little 'dots') and I have also put some on my shutter button and the center of the 'D-pad' to help find things blindly - either in the dark or so I don't have to remove my eye from the viewfinder.

http://sugru.com/

• Like Like x 3
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Those are rejected Leica red dots! It is part of their reduce/reuse/recycle program with Panasonic. :biggrin:

--Ken

P.S. It is nice to have a physical cue when working in the dark. I shot concerts for a few years, and you learn where things are by feel quite quickly. But a few hints are always appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    It also helps in the light when you get old!:wink:

6. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Andy
    I don't have my camera with me right now but I'm pretty sure the Oly 12-40 Pro has a raised dot. It may be white instead of red though.

7. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    It is a red dot but is much smaller than the one used on P/L lenses. I think the smaller dot is just as easy to feel and a lot less likely to get damaged. I wish all of Olys' lenses had this small red dot! I'm sure all the upcoming 'PRO' lenses will have it.

8. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Andy
    Thanks for confirming! I wasn't 100% sure I was accurate.

9. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    In your local craft store in the sticker section you can find little glow in the dark dot stickers. I use those for mine.

• Like Like x 1