Do not underestimate the E-PL1 kit lens. You have been warned.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vietcam, Jun 18, 2010.

1. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Hi guys, when I first got the E-PL1, I used the panasonic 14-45mm extensively instead of the kit lens. Last month I was forced to sell my pan 14-45 mm to save up for the new olympus 14-150 mm. I have no choice but to go back to the E-PL1 lens kit. Well, I do have the panasonic 20mm too but sometime I do need a zoom. Anyway, after a month of using the kit lens, I found that it is an excellent lens to my standard. I was surprised by the images that came out of the lens. Now that I got used to the collapsing mechanism, I actually like it's size and weight more compare to my old panasonic 14-45 mm. Here are a few examples of the kit lens. You be the judge. Thanks for looking guys. Welcome any C&C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am now in love with the olympus famous Jpeg colors.

• Like Like x 18
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its a fine lens , i just wish it was more robustly built ,s you say its size is very good too

3. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    well I must say...

Gorgeous images! I have been confused by some of the negative comments on this lens. Looks great!
    Pap

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Great shots, vietcam - and very smart of you to include all of these photos show the lens's versatility.

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I couldn't agree more

I continually see this lens dissed all over other forums, but mine sure delivered for me on my last trip to the Northwest in May. It stayed on the PL1 a lot more than my other 3 lenses did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  6. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I agree; it is a fine lens, a great balance between quality and portability, just like the body it is attached to. Biggest strength, color fidelity; biggest weakness, perspective distortion (in the first picture, notice how the line on the right doesn't just lean in, but also bends slightly). For anything that you don't need f/2.8, remember that there is a 17mm prime "embedded" in that zoom! This is the lens that I plan on leaving on the body when we go to Disney World next week. I was going to leave the 17mm on, but as I got used to the 14-42 I've decided to take it, too (as well as the Panny 20mm f/1.7 for night work).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone. One thing that I really want for my EPL1 is the VF-2. I am waiting for some more reviews about the 14-150mm so I can decide. I can only afford either the lens or the VF2 but not both for now. Happy shooting everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Nice shots Vietcam...
    Despite having some fancy glass I have a soft spot for the 14-42
    Never feel lacking when using it .. your shots look GREAT.

9. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    vietcam, your first pic says it all. amazing.