1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do not underestimate the E-PL1 kit lens. You have been warned.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vietcam, Jun 18, 2010.

1. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Hi guys, when I first got the E-PL1, I used the panasonic 14-45mm extensively instead of the kit lens. Last month I was forced to sell my pan 14-45 mm to save up for the new olympus 14-150 mm. I have no choice but to go back to the E-PL1 lens kit. Well, I do have the panasonic 20mm too but sometime I do need a zoom. Anyway, after a month of using the kit lens, I found that it is an excellent lens to my standard. I was surprised by the images that came out of the lens. Now that I got used to the collapsing mechanism, I actually like it's size and weight more compare to my old panasonic 14-45 mm. Here are a few examples of the kit lens. You be the judge. Thanks for looking guys. Welcome any C&C.

pic1.

pic2.

pic3.

pic4.

pic6.

pic5.

I am now in love with the olympus famous Jpeg colors.

• Like Like x 9
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its a fine lens , i just wish it was more robustly built ,s you say its size is very good too

3. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    well I must say...

Gorgeous images! I have been confused by some of the negative comments on this lens. Looks great!
    Pap

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Great shots, vietcam - and very smart of you to include all of these photos show the lens's versatility.

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I couldn't agree more

I continually see this lens dissed all over other forums, but mine sure delivered for me on my last trip to the Northwest in May. It stayed on the PL1 a lot more than my other 3 lenses did.

large.

large.

large.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I agree; it is a fine lens, a great balance between quality and portability, just like the body it is attached to. Biggest strength, color fidelity; biggest weakness, perspective distortion (in the first picture, notice how the line on the right doesn't just lean in, but also bends slightly). For anything that you don't need f/2.8, remember that there is a 17mm prime "embedded" in that zoom! This is the lens that I plan on leaving on the body when we go to Disney World next week. I was going to leave the 17mm on, but as I got used to the 14-42 I've decided to take it, too (as well as the Panny 20mm f/1.7 for night work).

_6130332.

• Like Like x 2
  7. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone. One thing that I really want for my EPL1 is the VF-2. I am waiting for some more reviews about the 14-150mm so I can decide. I can only afford either the lens or the VF2 but not both for now. Happy shooting everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Nice shots Vietcam...
    Despite having some fancy glass I have a soft spot for the 14-42
    Never feel lacking when using it .. your shots look GREAT.

9. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    vietcam, your first pic says it all. amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.