1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do not go to camera stores!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Sep 26, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    So, yesterday I had a day in Melbourne City while in transit from Paris to my little home-town Launceston. Long story short, I've been pondering selling my GH2 to purchase an OMD and either the m.ZD 12-50mm or Lumix 12-35mm for quite a while now - main reason being that for a lot of my shooting a sealed kit would be very, very handy (the GH2 is my first non-sealed 'serious' camera)...

So, into Camera Lane I go (Melbourne's cutest camera store - delightfully messy and overflowing with cool stuff like Leica M, Pentax digital MF and lots of old film bits and pieces) and start playing around with a black OMD - very nice indeed, especially with the grip attached!

But then the school-boy error. In a corner of the window I see a glimmer of silver. Looking closer - yep, thats the m.ZD 75/f1.8...

"Salesperson, would you mind is I stick that on my GH2 for a couple of shots?"

It is simply amazing. It feels amazing - solid and 'hefty'. It focusses instantly. Manual focus is, bloody hell, is that really focus-by-wire? It's so sharp, even at f1.8. Shooting wide-open and people across the street are completely separated from the background - something I've never managed with MFT before.

Siiiiiiiiiigh. The OMD is going to have to wait. The 75mm will have a new home in the next few weeks :smile:

• Like Like x 8
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If it's any consolation, the price of the OM-D will start to drop soon and you will still have the 75 to use when you get one. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You're always better off buying glass - I too passed on the OMD & instead, got myself the M. Zuiko 75mm..:smile:

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Haha. Great minds think alike.

I bought one yesterday too, but in Sydney. fantastic lens. I won't tell you what else I bought. I'm ashamed of my self (not really, but it's a lot).

Gordon

p.s. don't forget to claim the GST back at the airport.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Good choice. The GH2 is a high end body and is still more than adequate. The lens will be sweet to shoot with.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can personally assure you that it's a very, very nice lens.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It sure is a dangerous time to go anywhere near a camera store these days, with the launch of a bunch of exciting new cameras like the GH3, E-PL5, E-PM2, NEX6, XE-1, etc., and the new m4/3 glasses like the 35-100/2.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 75/1.8... :eek:

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Should have listened to your advice, but...

...I passed by my favorite local camera store after lunch today, and some dark force just drawn me inside. Next thing I know, I walked out with the Oly 60/2.8 Macro! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1