1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Do lens mount wear out pretty quickly?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uci2ci, Nov 2, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I just noticed that my 14-150 is starting to click-clack in the lens mount of my EM-5 when operating the zoom. It didn't do it before, but it just started. I understand that some rotation is to be expected. all my lenses rotate a bit, but none of them get the use that the 14-150 gets and none have gotten any worse. Do lens mount get loose as time goes by?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've never seen a metal lens mount wear significantly, even in professional use. Could the retaining screws that attach the mount to the barrel possibly be loose?

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - You would have to take a lens on and off thousands of times for the metal to wear that much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    And if the mount was wearing that much, you'd be looking for shavings getting on the sensor/ in the camera...not likely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    When I was shooting news everyday for 15 years, I've never had a metal mount wear out. I've had a few lenses destroyed, but the mounts still worked perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

When I worked at a newspaper in the 1980s some of the Nikon AIS lenses we used displayed severe wear to their mounts.

The lens flange was made of brass that had hard chromium plating. The flanges wore slowly with little visible sign of wear until the chrome wore out. The wear rate for the unprotected brass was much higher.

• Like Like x 1
  7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Maybe its just the weather getting a bit colder in LA all of the sudden making th metal shrink :confused: i guess its ok as long as the contacts are aligned through the rotation

Thanks guys

8. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    This forum's Enrico Savazzi did bring up some interesting issues with respect to third party lens adapters. I hope he doesn't mind quoting him at some length here:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Metal mounts are fine. Though I don't touch plastic mount lenses with a 10 foot pole! :eek:

10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    On the other hand, I haven't seen plastic mounts wear either. They just FEEL cheap and weak.

11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    LOL. Yes. I worked briefly for a newspaper many years ago, and one of my compatriots dropped a Nikon F2 (I think, might have been an 'F') 5 or 6 floors down the stairwell in an apartment building, through the gap between the segments of stairs. Went all the want to the bottom and apparently landed on the lens. Glass and metal lens parts everywhere, but the lens mount was still attached to the camera, which sort of still worked, as long as you locked up the mirror.

12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I think plastic mounts are probably fine on the cameras and lenses on which they're typically used. The buyers of these cameras probably don't have more than a couple of lenses, none of them heavy super telephotos, and probably don't change them frequently.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Do plastic mounts even come on anything outside of kit lenses?

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, the 40-150 and the new 15mm are both plastic mounts.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the 40-150mm. Even the newer version of the Four-Thirds 40-150mm was a plastic mount. I had it briefly, but didn't like such a lightweight, slow aperture lens with such a long focal length. Both the older 40-150mm (with metal mount) and the 70-300mm gave a much more stable shot with more weight and a little more speed. I sold my 40-150mm for just a little less than I bought it for, back to the same original owner. lol. She didn't have a 70-300mm like I did at the time, so for her I think it was a good lens to hang onto.

16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This is the sort of gibberish one finds on the internet. While aluminum is a metallic element, it is virtually never used in its pure form. It is almost always an alloy with other materials mixed in. There are thousands of different aluminum alloys, with a vast range of properties. Think of it as a class of materials. (Plastic is another material like this, only more so. The term plastic, without being specified as to type, is virtually meaningless.) A number of high quality OEM lenses use high silica content aluminum which is very hard with good wear characteristics.

Lens mounts generally wear from the dirt/grit on them being ground into the mounts. If one is concerned about wear, wipe the lens and body mounts off with a clean, dry cloth.

17. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Canon has plastic mounts on a few of their short consumer zooms, I think.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I believe the plastic mounts are made of the same stuff they make football helmets.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    All in a days work.

Gary

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have! and I have seen then break too. Metal ones I have seen get bent from being dropped but never seen one wear out.