1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do I want the Olympus 9-18?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Danny_Two, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I really can't decide If I want the Oly 9-18 for my G1 or not. I have the kit lens, the 200 and the 20mm but not sure if I want, or even need the wide angle.
    At the moment Amazon uk are doing it for £460, which is about as cheap as its going to get thanks to impending uk tax rises, so it's kind of now or never.

I do mainly street/city photography and not sure wether to just stick to the 20mm which is my main lens or get some wide action.

Thoughts/inspiration?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    When you use the kit lens, do you find yourself using the widest part of it much? If not, do not pass go, do not collect $200 (but save yourself $5-600!). If so, do you often find yourself wishing it could go wider? If not, do not pass go, etc. If so, then, yeah, if you can afford it you should try it.

Of course, it also sort of depends what you mean when you say you do mainly street/city photography. If you mean mostly candid people shots, you're better off sticking with one of the primes. If you shoot a lot of architecture and urban form too, then the 9-18 (or 7-14) would be invaluable. I do a good bit of both and will often walk around with the 9-18 and use the wide end for urban form/architecture shots and then zoom back out to the "long" end for people shots. Although its not my first choice for shooting people shots, I've gotten some of my favorites with that lens just by virtue of having it on the camera when a shot presented itself.

-Ray

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    mmm that is tempting ... though I do NOT need any more lenses at the moment ...

but be careful that you buy the right lens ... the one for 460 is the 4/3 lens, the one for 462.80 is the m4/3 lens

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Couldn't have said it any better. I would add that if you are in between - do often use the widest part of the kit lens, but don't often wish to go wider - then consider waiting for the Panny 14mm. It's definitely faster at 14mm than the kit lens (f/2.5 vs. 3.5) and is the smallest :43: lens to date.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Great lens, I Am selling mine in the marketplace as I am going back to pentax only. It is essentially mint and I have the accompanying hood, $515 usd shipped express mail insured if you are interested!

6. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I do, and I think that may of made my mind up.
    :smile:

I can't really see the point in the 14mm (for me) I technically already have one in the kit lens, and I much prefer the brighter 20mm.

Thanks, but Im in the uk, once its all added up I doubt there would be much saving.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I haven't seen if any of the recent reviews compare the 14mm to the low end of the kit zooms, but the image quality of a prime is usually much better than the equivalent length on a zoom, especially at the low end. Add to that, the speed difference and I'm definitely going to try it. I have the 20mm, too, but the FOV difference is significant enough for me to try it. Of course, in a perfect world, I have it and a 9-18mm (or 7-14mm, though I dislike the built-in hood.) :wink:

8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I just came back from a 3-week tour where I'd restricted myself to the 9-18 & the 20mm on my GF1. I found the two lenses complimented each other perfectly. I've no experience of Panasonic's zooms so can't comment, but I've never been in a position to afford the 7-14. I'm delighted with the Olympus lens, I think it's a terrific balance of performance vs lightness/size. I shall probably pass on the 14mm f2.5 & wait until someone (Voigtlander?) brings out a decently fast 12 or 10mm. My next "lens" will be an 11mm f/168 (see other threads) for $39! :wink:

9. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I had the 9-18, 45-200, and the 20 with me on a recent trip to Japan and I have to say I used the 9-18 the most for shooting temples and the streets.

10. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    That's great to hear, since this is exactly the pair of lenses I decided to start out with on my new E-PL1. From what I've read, the 9-18mm is a phenomenal lens - as is the 20mm pancake.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm quite pleased with the 9-18mm. Fits in a nice sweet spot for performance, size/weight...and price.

12. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I would agree that the combo is an excellent landscaper's travel kit. Today I would take the 9-18mm Olympus lens and the 25mm f/0.95 Voigtlander.

13. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Agreed, same experience with my trip to China this year.

14. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I just largely replaced a sizable Canon kit with an m43 kit. In just a day of playing with the 9-18, I can tell already that it will be a decent substitute for an ef-s 10-22.

15. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Well, I took delivery today. Bad weather means no photo opportunities for bit, but a bit of a play indoors shows how wide it is, and that's W I D E.
    :smile:

16. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I expect it is better than the Canon 10-22. I have the Olympus 9-18mm and the Nikon 10-24mm and while my Nikon D90 records a better image in general (a lot better sensor than Olympus uses), the Olympus lens has no serious faults and is almost immune to flare when shooting into the sun for sunrises and sunsets. I have never come across a lens that handles shooting into the sun so well.

17. That's a big call rating the mZD 9-18mm as better than the EFS 10-22mm. The Canon also copes with flare brilliantly and five years later is still arguably the best of the EFS lenses for APS-C sensors. It's also has the least distortion of an UWA I've used. I would've kept a copy but they're expensive and have the most ridiculously large hood I have seen. Seems like we need a back-to-back showdown.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The call is based on claims made that the newer Nikon 10-24mm is better than the Canon 10-22mm lens. I have both the Nikon 10-24mm and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lenses.

Note that you cannot really isolate the camera from the equation and I wouldn't be as bold to claim that when the body is included the overall package is better. The sensors in Olympus cameras lag behind the times in dynamic range and noise.

19. Priannet

Priannet Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 26, 2010
    Just got mine yesterday evening.

First impression: It´s an ultra compact lens!, I think I´m liking it already, looking forward to testing it today.

20. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I was a bit miffed it always has to be extended to use, never seen a lens that retracts only when not in use.