Do I want glass or accessories for my new E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeoreDX, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm trying to decide what I want to but first for my little E-PM1. I already bought the Ashai skin, but that's it so far besides the 14-42 IIr kit. I have some Amazon credit burning a hole on my pocket and I'm trying to decide what I want to buy for my camrea next, and the choice is either glass or accessories.

Probably looking at the 14/2.5 or 17/2.8 or 19/2.8. Wish I could pick up something a stop faster than those but faster glass is a little out of my budget. Leaning more towards the 17/2.8 as it's a good focal length for me and would make for a nice small package on the E-PM1.

Would like a different strap, possibly a G4 grip, extra battery(ies), F-Mount adapter to use some AI and Pre-AI glass I have (mainly want it for my 55/3.5 Macro), and most likely the VF3.

With golf season approaching and lots of golf related expenses that will probably be it for me for at least a couple of months as far as the M43 buying spree, so whatever I get I have to make it count. I really want the pancake to make for a nice small package and I could see myself using that a ton, but I could also see myself using an EVF a ton especially if I can mount my 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor on there.

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    The first "extra" lens I got was the 14. It really opened my eyes about a lot of things. It'll make a nice small package with the PM1, too.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    For me, it always makes sense to spend money on lenses. They tend to have the most impact on your images (which is the reason you have a camera in the first place) and they also hold their value reasonably well.

Among the options you listed, I'd go with the P14, which makes an excellent, relatively pocketable walkaround combination with the PEN Mini.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you need glass! That's where the performance of a camera lies, and no camera is very good with just the kit lens unless it's a pro-grade kit (ie, like the E-1 or E-30 with Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 or E-3, the E-5 with Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4, or the Lumix L1 with Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit).

The Lumix 14mm/2.5 is the best lens from your list and within your budget.

Of course, getting the F-mount adapter and VF-3 is also the same as getting new glass, and you get a lot more of them too that way! So that's a good route to go as well.

Other than that, the other accessory you really need is lighting.
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What allows you to take more of the pictures you want to take? Is it that the kit lens doesn't have enough reach? Then the adapter is the way to go. Like the kit lens reach, but forced into higher ISO or reallllly slow shutter speeds? Go for a prime. Go out shooting, and have the battery die on you quickly? Then batteries. Having trouble seeing the screen, especially when zoomed? Go for the VF3. I don't see a reason why the grip or strap should be in the contention right now. They are great later, or if you have a small amount to spend, but overall won't make a huge difference in producing pictures.

Or sit back and decide which is more important, some of these accessories, or some golf-related expenses? People generally could have enough, they just choose where to spend it. Neither one is a bad choice, but only you can decide.
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I have an adapter and a 14mm. I'd sell the adapter first and I a have good amount of pro Nikon glass.

I find the 14mm just enough faster to make a difference over the kit at 14mm. For example sitting here at my desk with the 14mm 2.5 I can get 1/20-1/25 at ISO 800. When I bump it up to f3.5 it gives me 1/10-1/13 in aperture mode. While that might not be a lot it does put it at the 1/focal length given the 2x field of equivalent.
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You can get the 14 for around $180 on E-bay. As good as the 14 is, I don't know if Amazon is a good place to get it. Spend your amazon credit on the 20.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    another vote for the 14. great little combo with the E-PM1.
  9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    This is a good point. As a cheapskate I have a hard time recommending you spend $319 (new) or even $230 (used) for the P14. I'd rather spend $348 (current Amazon price) on the P20 v. $319 for the P14. Unless you really want that new lens smell, you'd be much better off looking for a used P14, IMHO.

So, if you really want to spend your Amazon $$, an extra battery or two and a Nikon-to-:43: adapter would be nice. A grip would definitely improve the ergonomics of the E-PM1, but I would prefer the Franiec grip to the Flipbac. If I were going for the Flipbac, I would prefer the G2 over the G4.
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Lenses, without doubt.
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    While the 14 is a great option, I would not overlook the deals on the Oly 40-150. I know that is not one of the OP's original choices. The 40-150 lens is very affordable, well cheap, and gives you some nice reach. It pairs nicely with the E-PM1 as well.
  12. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    While I have always seen excellent results from the 14, I still prefer the focal length of the 17. The 14 is sharper, but to my eyes, the 17 renders colors better. That's just my opinion, though. For the cost, both are excellent values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    $180 for a new 14 on Ebay.

They claim they are kit lenses being sold separately, so no box, but mine looked new and performs well. Maybe its new, maybe not, but a lot of different sellers have the same offer, and they have good feedback.
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    If you are a bit patient you might even be able to come closer to 160-170.
  15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Yeah, I'm aware of these deals, which have been available for quite some time. Truthfully, new or used (as long as "used" isn't "abused") matters little to me -- I'm just way too thrifty (read: cheap) to pay anything like MSRP for a lens.