Do I need to get an EP-2 and EVF to focus properly with MF lenses

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
My shots are "very hit and miss" focus wise with my EP-1 and MF glass - better with the G1 but not much - especially when "wide open"
The LCD screen and the two button magnification is not great - if fact I find it terrible

Never looked at the EP-2 and EVF as I am really happy with the EP 1 image wise - the shooting menu is however crap, (excuse the French)

Do I need to get an EP-2 and EVF to focus properly with MF lenses

I realise how good the D300 is when I go back to it

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bill,
The Pen 2 with the finder is very nice. To be clear....
I never need to use the magnifier with any lens at any distance.
It's better than any finder I ever used.
I just wish it had a split image like the old A screen for the Nikon F's. It's real bright tho'.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't think I'd like focussing using the LCD but a new camera is a big call. I like the integrated VF in the G1 but he E-P2 + VF2 is nice as well. My OM adapter turns up next week hopefully - then I can make a more informed comment.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don

I could use an old rangefinder - measure the distance and set it accurately

naw that wouldn't work as I need to frame the image thru the LCD - at a distance from my head

I'm OK on a tripod - but hand held, close up, wide open - it's really frustrating

time for a cuppa, (tea to you lot over there!) - and a chocolate biscuit, of course - maybe two

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't think I'd like focussing using the LCD but a new camera is a big call. I like the integrated VF in the G1 but he E-P2 + VF2 is nice as well. My OM adapter turns up next week hopefully - then I can make a more informed comment.

Bill

I've got adapters for my old Nikkor, FD, VC, Pentax and Leica glass - SLR and RF stuff - plus recently acquired some Konica MF stuff

they all frustrate me wide open with the EP-1 - better with the G1 - but only just

Long for split screen or some kind of focus confirm - anything is better that what there is a the present time on the EP-1

Cheers

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I love the Pen1, it's still my favorite. I sold the G1 because I have old eyes.
Then along came a deal on the Pen2. For MF lenses, there is nothing better.
I use the Konica 57 1.4 wide open and never miss.
That's a testament for the finder.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
To be honost, I really love my Pen1. I am hesitant to depend on the Pen2 because it would replace the 1 easilly. So I don't challenge myself to often but when I do the 2 really stands out.
It's usually the garden that creates the problem. The 57 1.4 turns me on too much.
Even wide open...clear in/out focus. Then if I stop down to say...
8-11 or 16.... Eureka...I can see.
Actually I see better with the finder then with my glasses.
These ole' eyes just lovin' that finder....

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Bill, the E-PL1 has a slightly improved user interface and better grip for legacy lens shooting... the one touch magnifier button simplifies things, maybe worth considering as a backup for your E-P1?

Cheers

Brian

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bill, the E-PL1 has a slightly improved user interface and better grip for legacy lens shooting... the one touch magnifier button simplifies things, maybe worth considering as a backup for your E-P1?

Cheers

Brian

So I need to buy an EP-2 which has the EVF included in the price, OR

an EPL-1 PLUS an EVF

do I

nokiamia

Mu-43 Regular
I've been using my EP2 with Zuiko 17 and Pana 20, and the only time I used the EVF is when its too bright to see the LV.

Now that I've started using my old Nikkor lenses on the EP2, I feel that EVF is a big neccessity. Sometimes I even wish For an integrated EVF instead of removable.

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
So I need to buy an EP-2 which has the EVF included in the price, OR

an EPL-1 PLUS an EVF

do I

Bill,

I picked up a used E-P2 recently and when I was checking to see if it was a fair price, I noticed that there are several major online retailers, as well as eBay vendors, who are offering various packages both with the EVF and without. I noticed on Amazon when I searched that they had a package without the EVF for 899.00 and then just two clicks down the page, one without the EVF at the same price. If you go that route, just make sure what is included.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, I find the EVF is the way to really focus a lens accurately. I like wide-open shots at F1.5 and F2. I can do that easily with my rangefinders. I can also do it with the EP2.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have not uploaded anything faster than F2 yet, but will be.

This is a 50mm Summicron at F2:

I have a C-Mount to u4/3rds adapter coming in soon, and have a C-Mount adapter for my Canon 50mm F0.95. It will cover the full sensor. I will be posting some shots. I also have a Kowa 12.5mm F1.4 made for a 1" vidicon- it should cover most of the sensor.

I have used my Nikon 55mm F1.2 with the EP2. No problems.

stanleyk

I've had the E-P2 for about three weeks. It's an absolute joy to manual focus. I got the Novoflex K mount adapter and the old Pentax lenses work great on it. I think this adapter costs more, but it's dead on with the metering.

Actually I find the E-P2 easier to manually focus than the KX and as easy as the K7. I was rarely using my old Pentax lenses until I got it.

I'm really surprised more DSLR users haven't switched. I haven't taken my K7 or KX off the shelf since I got the E-P2.

Latest threads

Top Bottom