Do I need Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by RenaudVL, Mar 23, 2013.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Been asking that to myself for a while? with no answer :rolleyes:

I have Lightroom 4 and OnOne, will PS6 make a real difference?

I shoot 90% of the time in RAW!

Don't want to do to fancy stuff, just want my pictures to have more sponk...

Will eventually try HDR and stitching...

Is PS6 a must?

Thank all

Renaud

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have been using PS less and less with each new advancement of LR. The main things I use PS for now are plugins (advanced noise and skin tools), removing things, swapping things (lots of formals for events so open eyes are the most common).

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    photoshop is an expensive purchase... and I am pretty sure that there are dedicated applications for HDR and panorama stitching that would cost a lot less.

In terms of general image editing, there is an awful lot you can do with lightroom

however without seeing the kinds of images you have and are dissatisfied with, its difficult to offer further advice

K

4. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I agree with David. I find I'm only using Photoshop for resizing photos. Also, I very occasionally retouch in PS. At this point, I'm even thinking of not upgrading when the next version comes out.

I'm finding that with every new version of PS, they add more features that I don't use. Also, I can run Lightroom on my Windows 8 tablet(that I will be using when traveling) but Photoshop is just too slow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    PS is more for digital artistry than pure photography. Yes, it is great for photographs, but it does so much more beyond simple photo manipulation. I use PS for cropping and for selective area burning and dodging, everything else I use Aperture, I just like how those tools function in PS. I know I can easily live without PS. I have it more for friends who need layers and such. Generally, if you don't want to cross the line from photography into digital artistry than PS isn't necessary.

Gary

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'm still on CS5, I had to go for content aware fill. But see no need for CS6 and there would have to be something big for me to go to CS7.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At first I thought you said "spork" and was very happy ...

Try GIMP for free if you really need some PS GAS relief.

8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Yep, I was just getting ready to suggest it. LR does so much that I rarely use Gimp.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL

10. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    I use PS elements for printing wide boarders. LR for the rest. LR can print as well, but like PSE better for that.

11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have LR4 and PSElements. I like the PSE is similar to PS6 so that if ever I decide I need the full deal it will be more familiar to me.

I don't use PSE often but sometimes a project calls for it and I find Elements can do everything I need and it's very cheap to purchase.

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Or Pixelmator if your on a Mac.

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've been making do with Lightroom and Pixelmator (Mac only) and haven't really missed Photoshop. It's just so expensive...

I think Aperture and Lightroom are good investments for photography. If you already have Lightroom, Photoshop isn't really a requirement.

The only feature that is a Photoshop exclusive that is worth the $$$ is content aware fill. It is really really cool.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, the only reason I own Photoshop is that I could get a copy for less than LR cost me through work. Only use it for fine tuning large images to prep them for print, really.

15. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't have any experience with it's competitors, but Autostitch (it's free) creates panoramas very well.
    Andy

16. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thank everyone for your contribution to this thread,
    I think you all agree and I do to that I don't really need it!
    I will try to use LR to its potential... And see...
    And get HDR and good stitching software as I need them...

Renaud

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    There's a Lightroom plugin called LR/Enfuse that people seem to like for HDRs. It's a donation based app.

For panoramas I've seen people write tutorials using Hugin, another free app.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you're using windows there's also Microsoft ICE for pano stitching.

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well you certainly need food, and clothing, and you probably need shelter, but do you need PS? Nope, not at all. There are LOTS of other processors out there, and most are much cheaper! And by the way Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 has a LR plugin, but it's not cheap either. I'm pretty sure that there are inexpensive stitchers out there too.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lightroom and Photoshop are very different programs. If you want to cut out some unwanted object from your shot you will need Photoshop. If all you do is adjust your images{exposure,color,etc.} then Lightroom is all you need. A cheaper option to full Photoshop is Elements. The Photomerge tool is the same in Elements as the full Photoshop. Sadly Elements does not have HDR, yet. But there are plenty of affordable HDR apps out there.