1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do I need permission to post pictures to a website?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by redington, Mar 29, 2013.

1. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm designing a fair housing website for a local non-profit. We don't have much money or resources. I drove around and took a few pictures of plain, ordinary, not-special looking buildings. I can't seem to be able to figure out whether I need to get permission from the property owners to be able to post these pictures to this non-commercial website. Does anybody have any idea?

Side note: I am an attorney, but I know as much about IP law as I know about biochemistry (nothing at all). Any help is appreciated.

2. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks! I'll have to look around the site. That particular page covered taking pictures, which is going to have different rules from posting images publicly.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would get the permission just to be in the clear, in case someone gets upset for one reason or another.

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Google street view shows you pretty much any house that has a road going in front of it. They do blur out license plate numbers and faces, but that's it.
    This holds for the US site. Google did get into trouble with street view in Europe where privacy rights are handled differently. They are blotting out significantly more over there.
    Rudy

5. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Rudy - that was what I was thinking, too. I did crop out a couple of license plates (it helped with the composition anyway) and there are no identifiable people in the pictures.

I should be so paranoid, it's a fair housing website meant to assist property owners in complying with fair housing laws. It might make them look bad if they came after little ole' us for just using pics of their buildings...

6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    If you photographed my house and put it on a website I'd wonder why and my friends might as well. If you photographed the house and put in in a gallery, there's no problem but using it to accent a website does not seem to be fair use to me. You an probaly get a stock photo really cheap and not have a problem.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    How is it not fair use? People walk by it every day and view it. What difference does the location or usage make? Unless your house is not viewable from a public street, it is fair use.

8. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Several years ago the NY Times mag ran a photo of a well dressed Black man walking across the street with a briefcase. It illustrated an article about upward mobility for Blacks. The man felt it was referring to him and sued and won. Anyway, here's a free guide to copyright issues: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox/13dacc4d47aa7089

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you take the picture in accordance with your rights then the photo is your to do with as you wish.

Of course other people have their rights as well which is where the model release comes in, etc - and the blurring, etc. Houses have no rights. Why do you think folks build privacy hedges, walls and loooooong driveways?

Naturally, if you post a photo of a house and add commentary about the nasty abortion Dr. who lives there and however indirectly advocate folks doing something about it ... well, you are the lawyer.

How does fair use apply to the copyrights holder?