1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do I "need" another lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pmac, Dec 26, 2012.

1. pmac

pmac New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2012
    Eastern PA
    Hi all...

Not long ago I purchased a Lumix GF3; the kit lens is the Panasonic 14mm prime. I also purchased the Panasonic 45-200mm.

I haven't used a changeable lens camera in many years, when I had a Minolta XG-1 as a kid. The last 15 years or so have been various digital point-and-shoots. But I love nature photography and wanted more flexibility and better quality. The 14mm works well for landscapes, and the zoom meets my need for most wildlife shots.

But my wife and I also use the camera for miscellaneous typical family events; social events, vacation shots, etc. Sometimes it seems like the 14mm isn't ideal for those situations, while the zoom lens is bulky for carrying around a lot. Perhaps I've gotten spoiled from using earlier point-and-shoots with any zoom I wanted.

I've been thinking about getting the Panasonic 14-42mm, which I guess is often a kit lens. My question is this - given the two lenses I already have, are there circumstances where the 14-42mm lens would be of value... or do I just need to better learn how to work with what I have?

thanks!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Kit lenses can be very useful for situations where you don't want or can't change lenses all the time (travel is one that comes to mind). They give you a certain level of flexibility that is nice. If you are looking to add a kit lens might I suggest the Panasonic 14-45 instead of the 14-42? It's pricier but I have always thought it was a much sharper lens.

3. pmac

pmac New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2012
    Eastern PA
    Thanks for the suggestion - I was looking at the 14-45 as well. Comparing the reviews of the two, the 14-45 seems better, but maybe not twice the cost better? At least for someone like me, who's very much an amateur!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Depending on how you feel about the IS on the lens you could go with an Olympus 14-42 (one of the newer ones). It would be better than the Panasonic 14-42 and cheaper than the 14-45 while being pretty close in image quality.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I wouldn't say there are enough lenses until having the 25 1.4!

6. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    The 14-42 II is a good, sharp and fast lens. I think that it will make very well in travels (maybe the 12-50 is better for that purpose, but is more expensive and bigger)

The 14-45 is similar to the 12-50 in terms of size, so I prefer the last one

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am sure there must be people on this forum who have bought multiple m43 cameras that have a spare 14-42 rattling around in a drawer somewhere..... Evoke the festive spirit and see if someone will offer you one at a very good price

that way you can use that lens and then decide whether you want a 17mm, a 25mm or a 45mm as your next lens :)

K

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Why not get the m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 to go with your Lumix 14mm/2.5 instead of a slow zoom lens?

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

maybe 45mm isn't the focal length for the OP.....point is he isn't sure (and we sure as heck don't know) what he actually needs in a lens ... hence if he picks up a cheap 14-42 he can get a better feel for what FL and indeed aperture will actually satisfy him.

K