Do I have to register to get Oly Warranty

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rpringle, Feb 2, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Hello

I bought my ep5 kit from a camera dealer middle of last month and I'm wondering if I have to register it on their website to ever use it? The registry is kinda weird cause it asks me my household income? Why they need to know that?

Also I am wondering what the warranty period is on the E P5, VF4, 17mm 1.8 kit? I heard somewhere their warranty is 5 year but does that cover body, lens, evf or everything? The warranty card doesn't tell me the period or if I need to register.

Thanks

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You don't need to register it to use the warranty. Just keep the card and the receipt. In the US, the warranty period is 1 year (true for bodies, lenses and accessories). I believe it is 2 years in Europe. You can buy an extension of the Olympus warranty - those add 2 years for the body or 4 years for the lens (there's a separate package for each).

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I recently registered an E-P5 body, and, by doing so, received an extra 6 months warranty. Bought from SRS Microsystems and the receipt indicates 2 years. One interpretation from this is that I'm getting 2 1/2 years total.

Asking an individuals income is kite flying; they use it for statistical reasons, I guess, helps Olympus target certain income groups. You can of course make it up if you wish.

4. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    You can buy the extended warranty from olympus if you buy it within the first year correct? That's how I understand it from their description. And the extended warranty is separate for M43 bodies and lenses right? So I would have to essentially pay twice if I wanted to cover the pen and the 17mm lens.

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. Extended warranty can be added any time within the original warranty period. This also means that if you e.g. buy a refurbished lens or camera, you can get the extended warranty within the first 90 days.

You will need to buy separately for the camera and the lens. Considering the depreciation that these bodies suffer, I'd only consider getting an extended warranty on the lens. If you check eBay, you may be able to find the warranty for a lower price.

6. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    you can buy the extended warranty on ebay? I thought I'd have to go through Olympus to get an extension on my original gear. Do you have details and can elaborate on it please? Thanks

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, it's an Olympus warranty. So long as you buy it and register it with Olympus while the gear is still covered by Olympus's original warranty, it's valid. I mentioned it because the last time I checked, there was an extended warranty for the Pens for about half the price B&H was asking. Actually, I see it's still there. Also, it looks like if you buy the lens as part of an Olympus kit, that gets covered too. So you don't need to get a separate one of the lens. Good deal.

8. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    thanks for the clarification. So if I buy that for my E-M1 and since I bought the 12-40 lens with it and got the $200 off, I only need to buy it once and both the E-M1 and my 12-40 lens are covered? Even thus I bought it from B&H? Do I just get a code from the ebay seller Cameta or do they mail a "warranty card"? Thanks. I'm interested in extending my warranty just in case.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I believe that unless the camera and lens are listed as a single item on the receipt (a factory designated 'kit'), the lens will not be covered. However, I'm not 100% sure - I'd call Olympus to verify. Buying the warranty from a different place than you purchased the camera isn't an issue. The warranty is an actual card which they mail. If you're looking at the warranty I linked to, note that it mentioned 'For Pen Digital Camera', so you should probably check with Olympus or Cameta whether it is the correct warranty for your E-M1.