1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do I have a bad battery?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Eggradio, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    First charge was two hours. Charged until the little green light turned off. Used the camera for three days. Took about 25-30 shots. Now the battery is dead.

Raw + Jpeg (fine, large). No flash usage. No extended periods with the camera left on. 50% LCD, 50% LVF.

Downloaded the pictures directly from the camera to my computer once.

This is definitely not right, right?

Very strange. Is it because the battery is new? Did I not charge the battery long enough during the initial charge?

I did a search on the forum and found that people who get 200 pics with the camera were complaining about battery life. At 30 shots and in three days, I would have to say my battery is broken...

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What camera? OEM battery or 3rd party? Did you turn the camera off with the switch, or rely on it going into sleep mode?

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It really depends what you're doing with the camera. If you've been spending a ton of time in menus, adjusting settings, learning your camera, reviewing and admiring your pictures, etc. then your battery life isn't going to be great. 30 shots seems low, but if you spent these three days really playing with your camera, then it isn't unheard of. It sounds like you charged your battery fully, so if you continue to get horrible battery life, then I would agree that your battery is faulty, but over 99% of "bad battery" cases are just people overusing the non-picture-taking aspects of their camera.

4. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Brand new GX1, OEM battery. Camera turned off with the switch at all times when not in use.

5. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    This seems like a very reasonable answer! I HAVE been fiddling with all the settings and menus and figuring out the camera.

I just hope it isn't a problem with the camera draining the battery in some crazy way... That is impossible, right?

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Messing with the menus while finding your way around the camera is a likely culprit.

I get 2-3 weeks or more on a charge at a utilisation of 20-30 shots a week + a weekly sync via USB.

If I shoot heavily, I'll get 2-300 shots in one day on a charge (can be slightly more if I use a manual-focus 'unpowered' lens) before the battery warning appears (E-P1/E-PM1 and the BLS1 battery).

Another possible explanation is something accidentally powering the camera up while its in your bag or pocket.

A dodgy camera, charger or battery (I've probably jinxed it now and we'll soon be flooded with tales of exploding batteries and a manufacturer recall . . .) are possible but extremely unlikely.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely that you have some phantom drain. The GX1 and G3 use the same very tiny battery; buy yourself a backup, and limit your fiddling once you're used to the camera.