Do High 900mb/s cards make a difference?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ken Janzen, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Ken Janzen

Ken Janzen New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    Prince George, BC, Canada
    Ken Janzen
    I am just curious because I have been considering getting one. How much of a difference does having these new fast cards make?

Oops, sorry...meant to say 90mbs.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I use the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards which are rated Class 10 and claim 95mb/second speeds. I haven't done any rigorous performance testing, but I feel like my cameras are able to dump their buffers and get back to shooting quicker.

Frankly, the prices on memory cards have come down so far across the board that the premium for the fastest cards it's almost negligible. Even if they're only faster in my imagination, it's still worth it to me to spend a few dollars more to get the "best".

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I agree... SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/sec for all of my new cameras (as in cameras introduced and purchased in the last year). I use SanDisk's 45 mb//sec models for everything else. The last camera with which I used SanDisk's 30mb/sec cards was my Pentax K200D. That was gifted to a niece a few months ago.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If your camera supports UHS (only the latest Panasonic bodies support it, my GH2 doesn't benefit. I don't know about which Oly bodies support it), then you will see a difference when shooting a burst of RAW or you're using a hacked GH2 for video.

Otherwise, it might not make any difference except at the computer end. If you're a working photog with many gigs to download at the end of a day, it might be worth your while to pay the premium.

5. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I have 2 sandisk cards that are 95mb/s and I just recently purchased a sony 94mb/s card. I cant tell the difference between them and the sony was significantly cheaper. I only buy the "extreme" speed cards because when I shot with the x100 I definitely could tell a difference between a normal class 10 and the superfast ones. :)

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What about computer download speeds? Do the higher/faster cards make a difference if you are still using USB2? (not USB3)?

7. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    USB 2.0 max out at 60MB/s, in theory. In reality it hovers around 25~30MB/s. All the non-el-cheapo SDHC cards have the same or faster read time as long as the camera supports them.

Regardless I don't think there is any camera with USB 3.0 interface currently, so the fastest way to transfer is probably by using an USB 3.0 memory card reader or an internal card reader on your computer.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is all very true. But it occurs to me that the time spend removing the memory card from the camera and putting it in a USB 3.0 card reader generally negates the speed advantages of that reader.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Probably true, although for large cards, it may still make sense. For me, the main advantage is not having to fumble with the flimsy USB connector cover on the camera and saving the camera's battery.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My MacBook SD slot is the main point of entry for my pics. It's just USB 2.0 though

11. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    It's important to check whether claimed speeds relate to read, write or both. With the Sandisk Extreme Pro, it's both. I have one such card, as well as an Extreme 45MB/sec. Using my E-M5 on 4fps, I get 22-23 vs 17-18 shots before the frame rate slows, and the buffer clears in about half the time.

12. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Very true. An USB 3.0 reader will save a good many minutes if it's a larger card. Plus I hate using the USB cable on the E-M5, and to worry about wearing down/loosen the port.

13. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    Using a cable connected to the camera for transfer
    will eat up some power from your camera battery

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I sure hope so, I just ordered one.

G

15. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    How about long exposures? Does it matter with the card write speed?

My 45 mb/s card seems to be quicker to be ready for the next shot as compared to my older cards (on a 350d)

16. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    If you do a lot of continuous shooting at maximum frame rate, it is worth it.

17. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    My personal experience has been that they are much faster than other cards. This is corroborated by this review:

Olympus OMD EM5 Memory Card Test | Small Camera BIG Picture

The ability to clear the buffer quickly is worth it to me. The OM-D with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s card is night and day compared to the GH2 I had previously with a class 10 card- simply no comparison in buffer clearance time.