Do EVFs improve battery life?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Luckypenguin, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about if and to what extent using an EVF compared to the rear screen has on battery life on m4/3 cams. In the hope that I might get the chance to do some extended travelling next year I'd like to know if an EVF has at least some practical benefits in this regard. Thanks

2. AmstelBright

AmstelBright Mu-43 Regular

In my experience (E-PL1 and VF2) the battery life is reduced, not extended by the EVF. I'd guess by about 20%, but that may depend on your shooting habits. However, I find the benefits heavily outweigh this disadvantage, especially given the rather mediocre screen of the E-PL1. I have added a third battery to my kit and numbered the batteries 1 to 3 to ensure I won't run out of battery power and won't inadvertently mix up empty and full batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    It certainly does for an LX5, to my experience of using one for over a year, so I don't see why it wouldn't for a M4/3, all things being equal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Do you turn off the main screen completely, or leave it running to access the super control panel, image review, etc?

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    vs. the rear LCD, I'd hazard a guess that they are marginally more efficient, although I'm just guessing.

vs. an optical VF, I think that they use more battery power LOL. If you use primes, have you considered hotshoe mounted OVFs with the rear screen turned off?

• Like Like x 1
  6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I almost use EVF all the time. It definitely reduces battery life.
    I never use Super control panel.

I only use rear lcd to change picture mode (monochrome, natural). Other than this, my rear lcd is turned off. I suggest you buy the 3rd party bls-5 battery. It lasts longer than the factory battery :doh:

*rear lcd : temp -2, bright -1
    *EVF : temp 6, bright -5

• Like Like x 1
  7. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I've recently got the VF3 as a gift and was wondering how you would use the Super Control Panel on the main screen? I understand the main screen turns on when I press the image review button, but when pressing the center button to change settings, the Super Control Panel still shows up in my EVF. Is there a way to make it show up on the main screen as you are saying?

8. I assumed that was an option, but I don't don't have either of the EVFs for my E-PL1 so I'm not sure.

I'm just trying to figure out if there any benefit at all from having an EVF if you are trekking, are away from civilisation for a time, or don't have the opportunity to be charging batteries frequently. Either way it might just be best for me to collect a whole bunch of cheap batteries anyway since I have very little need for an EVF for framing, etc. The EVF on my GH1 sees use maybe 2 or 3 times out of a hundred.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    An EVF has a nominal impedance (electrical resistance) that presents a load to the power supply (battery) by drawing a certain amount of electrical current. If the EVF's impedance is low, as compared to the camera LCD, it will draw more current from the battery; depleting it faster.

Without evaluating the circuit diagram of a typical EVF, I suspect that it merely has a simple low-impedance circuit that is not nearly as sophisticated as the camera's LCD circuit.

The poster that claims lower battery life with the use of an EVF may invariably be correct.

• Like Like x 2
  10. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    It's not only correct, it's a fact. (E-P3 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

• Like Like x 3
  11. Well, that's the final nail in the viewfinder coffin for me!

Thanks for all the responses.

12. DiskMan101

DiskMan101 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Whoa didn't know that, I've always used my VF2 in an attempt to save battery power *wow*

13. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I thought that small screen on LVF-1 would drain less power from my GF2, but this is not true. External screen is power sawing after 30 seconds, but EVF remains active for 2 minutes. In total power consumption is more or less the same. If I am remembering it right I've found similar information in G3 specifications where consumption of LCD and EVF were almost comparable.