Do dead pixels come and go?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lowincash, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I've had the E-M5 since May and has been great so far. A few weeks back I noticed there was a dead pixel on the LCD but did not show up in the pictures that I took. Well that dead pixel went away and now the screen is back to normal.

Then the other day when I was selling the E-M5, the buyer noticed there's a dead pixel in the EVF which I've never noticed before. It's not noticeable at all during normal usage but only when you have the lens cap on or put your hand over the lens you'll see a red dot against the black background. He ended up not buying the camera and I decided to keep it as a second camera in case I need to have a weather sealed camera with me :D

Oh yeah I checked the EVF today and the dead pixel is gone. It was still there yesterday when I last checked. Do they come and go as they please? lol

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Zombie pixel?

3. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Thery are permanent damage to the LCD screen. Should find out if this is covered under Olympus Warranty and have it replaced.

4. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Do dead pixels have a specific color to them? The one on the EVF was red and I think the LCD one was yellow or something like that. They're not there anymore but the EVF one I can only see it when the background is completely black otherwise I would never notice it. Eh oh well it doesn't bother me though, just hope it doesn't come back lol

5. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Using the pixel mapping function gets rid of the dead pixel. I know Lightroom automatically removed the pixel therefore I would only notice it in my evf, or if I looked really hard on my lcd.

6. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Mine was also red on black backgrounds. And discolored on different colored backgrounds.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think if the the pixel is coloured, then it probably isn't dead but overheated perhaps. This might be what's happening with your camera.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If a pixel is dead that is it - dead - nothing. It is possible for them to malfunction and I suppose overheat. I found an image the other day that had a red pixel in a shadow area but the pictures before and after were fine(all taken in series).

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    If the pixels are on your evf or lcd, and not showing up on pictures, then the evf/lcd needs to replaced. Ive heard some reports of "jumping" pixels on NEX evfs so its not uncommon. A few dead pixels in the evf or lcd shouldnt pose much of a problem though, your not looking at it all day like a laptop screen, and being so small it shouldnt be much of a bother

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Wait, your not talking about the over/under color marks, are you? It shows you where in the frame you are over and under exposed .

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One funky pixel in the EVF loses the sale?

How much price drop to cover one funky pixel?

I see all kinds of funky stuff when looking at the inside of a lens cap .... generally I remove the lens cap before actually taking a photo. Crazy me.

As pointed out above if the pixel comes and goes likely not dead but hot. Play with the camera in the fridge and see if it goes away.

12. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah it's probably an overheated pixel lol Forgot to mention, the one on the LCD is only visible during live view mode and located on the top corner right by where it shows the lens' focal length.

But yeah that guy was super anal even if I was selling the camera for $1000. I had originally posted it for $1050 but found out the eyepiece cover was missing so I knocked off the $50. He noticed the red pixel and says he doesn't want it. Oh well, I guess that was a sign for me not to sell it because now I'm glad I didn't sell it lol I'm going to buy an eyepiece and probably super glue it :p

Although I've already sold all my lenses, it's enough to pay for the nex6 kit and a lens so I'm going to keep the E-M5 kit for when I want to use my legacy lenses :D I realized why I went to the E-M5 in the first place, for the awesome IBIS with legacy lenses lol

13. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    You wouldn't happen to be the guy I bought the 45mm 1.8 off of, would you? Haha, I had the blue car that ran out of gas XD. Glad to see you're keeping the E-M5!

14. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    haha yeah it's me lol hope you're enjoying that lens =] Glad I kept the camera too, forgot how much I love it, just got GAS when I hear of new cameras lol

15. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    My first E-M5 had a dead pixel right near the middle of the sensor, and that showed up green. I didn't notice it on the LCD or EVF, unless I zoomed in. I guess I was fortunate that it was right near the middle, because I saw it when scrolling in to check the details of the first shots. Therefore I was able to exchange it immediately.

Mine always showed as green, but it was hard to see if it mainly only showed when it was in a dark area of the picture. Sounds like a different issue, but figured I'd share

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Hot pixels on the sensor are common - after the sensor is used for a while, it heats up and the pixel is 'stuck' until the sensor cools off again. This is a problem with long exposures, which is why exposures past 4 seconds have dark-frame subtraction enabled, where the camera takes a second exposure with the shutter closed and uses it to manually subtract the hot pixels from the first image.

Your issue though is a hot pixel in the EVF. That's less common. You may be able to convince Olympus to replace the EVF, although given the prevalence of hot pixels, you may end up with the same problem. Still, if you are concerned about resale value, it's worth checking with them.

DH