1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do brand new Olympus cameras always come with zero shutter release?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Mar 26, 2014.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Recently I purchased a brand-new E-M1 from Olympus directly. When I received the camera, just out of curiosity, I checked out the shutter release in the hidden menu. Turns out the shutter release are 100-ish and the flash is fired 2 times.

I am wondering if it should always be zero or maybe it is due to the usage for the manufacturer QC?

Thanks!

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Everything I've read says there will be shutter release numbers around what you have. The cameras get a work out before they leave the factory.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    From what I've read they usually do have about that many. Part of the testing process, I assume. Though I've always bought mine refurbished so I can't say from experience.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Lol...my refurb E-M5 had less, 63 :tongue:

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Very interesting.... I purchased my EP-L1 used so I didn't know that Oly has such a high count. I bought my Pana GH-2 new and it had a count of 3.

6. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    It's normal - they do some shots for testing. My E-M10 had also a shutter count of 100+

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sometimes stores sell overstock as 'refurbished' just to get them out the door. That way there isn't a dramatic drop in price for regular new ones, but they're still able to sell them more quickly at a discount. Your E-M5 was likely brand new.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My refurbished E-M1 that just arrived last night had 119 on the count.

--Ken

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Perfectly fine, ALL Oly cameras do come with around 100 on the shutter count due to factory testing...no worries.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I would expect that refurb cameras have had the shutter count reset during the refurb process.

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    They might -- but then perform more testing which raises it back up.

12. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    Now I feel like I got a really good deal on my refrub ep5 which had 197 shutter count for about half price. I don't think Oly refurb does any real testing just clean and functionality check and repack because my first refurb ep5 had error codes and bad ibis which I had to send back.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    They don't. My EPM1 had 800+.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The point is that there's no reason for it to be higher or lower than a new camera, until/unless someone with first-hand knowledge of the Oly refurb process contributes some additional information.

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I think it has to do with what was repaired during the refurb process. My EM-5 had a major repair done (full board and sensor replacements) shortly after purchase and the shutter count was reset

That being said, it think its totally normal and necessary for the shutter to be tested in-house prior to being sold. 100 or so shutter aint worth worrying about

16. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    As another data point, my refurbished E-P5 had a shutter count of 380.

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

They should not reset it, and hopefully don't, unless the shutter has been replaced at the time of refurbishing. For If they did reset it, the count on the number of actuations on the shutter in the camera would be inaccurate.

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

They should not reset it, and hopefully don't, unless the shutter has been replaced at the time of refurbishing. If they did reset it, the count on the number of actuations on the shutter in the camera would be inaccurate. Now I don't know about you all, but I like knowing how many times the shutter has been through an actuation, and would not want the count to be shown as a few hundred less, especially if I was buying a used camera,

19. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

How do I get to the hidden menus on the E-M5 and the E-P5? And how do I decipher the results?

20. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada