1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do any of you ever feel like it's time to quit photography?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dylandingo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    My E-P3 keeps going through long periods of collecting dust and I don't know the last time I've seriously went out to go shoot. Recently I bought the Oly 17mm lens and in the month or so I've had it I took it out once and didn't have any keepers. Maybe it's just because of this awful, never ending winter here in Wisconsin but my motivation and joy from shooting hasn't been there. Any one else have months of no motivation to go out and take photos and if so what have you done to change it? I just about to list my E-P3, Oly 45 1.8, and my basically new Oly 17mm 1.8(which I guess might be good for a few people on here)

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    My camera sits most days but I find reasons to get it out and use it...

Travel somewhere new...

Look for and take a few great shots to print and hang on your walls....

Try to create something different...

There is a discussion today on one of the threads about Boudoir Portraits. That might get you motivated :)

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Join a social photo site like Flickr or 500px. Look at what everyone is doing and get inspired. If that doesn't work then perhaps find a new hobby? Don't force yourself to do something you do not enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  4. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    maybe mount a lens outside of the FL you would normally shoot at or Nocticron?:smile:

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It's hard to shoot things you aren't passionate about.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have taken to carrying a camera with me almost all of the time. Even on the week-ends when I am running errands I have a camera in my messenger bag. One of the benefits of the m4/3s is size. With the smaller m4/3s cameras and lenses it is easy to always have a camera in your messenger bag, tote, etc. I now always carry an iPad with me. Just the fact that I carry both, I use both all the time. I took pictures today of a beautiful old stone church and of a group of very small cottages made during the prohibition. You will never know when you see a subject that is worth of a picture. And, if you don't have a camera with you won't be thinking of photography. My thoughts alone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    This is what I do as well. I always have at least my E-M5 and 1.8/17mm with me in my messenger bag along with other stuff I need to get through a Seattle day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Being a bicycle commuter in this winter we have had hasn't helped. I was hoping it would get better soon and enjoyable to go outside but we just got more snow dumped here in La Crosse, WI and its keeps going from 20-40-20 degrees again. I also have decided not to go into photography as a career like I had been thinking about for so long, did a bunch of senior photos and just hated it. I almost forgot I promised I would do my younger brother's senior photos this summer so I guess I probably should at least hold off selling it until then.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I often feel it's time to call it a day. That can be 11pm at night, when I'm getting cold & wet or just when the rest of the family are half a mile ahead of me on a family walk.
    But there's never been a desire to quit for more than a few hours. I've got far too many projects yet to try, and more that need revisiting to get some decent results!

10. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Oh I do, that is the reason I sold all my Canon DSLR gear and why I love this system so much, even when I have had it it's barely come out. Again, this brutal winter we've had in Wisconsin hasn't been helping.

I also use to be fairly active in a flickermeet group but that was in bigger city and I have tried to start something here but there just isn't the photo community here.

11. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I dunno, sounds more to me like good 'ole fashioned seasonal affective disorder to me!

• Like Like x 2
  12. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    if you don't feel like going out taking photos (those days happen) start processing them in LR or other SW and re-live the moment you took them. That will get you excited to go out again when you have time or muse for it.... JMO

13. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You should live through a typical west coast of Scotland winter - 4 months of unremitting rain and flat, grey light. It was sunny today for the first time in weeks so I chucked my GF1 with Pentax 50/1.7 into my messenger bag and went forth. I took lots of frames but was only happy with one - a wee Chihuahua called Maverick who just wouldn't stand still!

14. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The cold weather is a bit of a deterrent. But I think there are some good interim exceercises. Pick a method or a subject and look for just those shots for one day. Maybe it's shadows, or reflections or shoes or anything really. Just a suggestion.

15. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    It's just this winter. You are not alone.

I have my camera everyday with me and even my camera is tired of my kids' faces.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like Like x 2
  16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Ahh, you are in the Driftless Area! That is one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Yes, this winter has been tough.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Never underestimate the influence of a long winter. Take a trip to a nearby city and walk around with the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    The day I quit will be the day I either: have done everything there is to do in photography, or I haven't gotten a solid keeper in a month or two. Even then, I'll probably just take a month off to clear my mind, then go back to macros and landscapes.

19. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    As a fellow Wisconsin native, I can relate. The problem this time of year is a lack of inspiration. I've done some decent indoor portraits, a little black and white outside, and some performance shots at Comedy Sportz, but it's been a pretty dry spell for me. As the weather improves, the world gets colorful again, and the light gets less grey and horrible, I think we'll both be out taking pictures more and more. :)

I live in Milwaukee though, so it may be a more photographically rich area. Another thing that helped me was picking up. Roxen speedbooster, which made me desperate to get out and mess with my legacy glass. Never underestimate the power of new toys. You can also take this as a chance to take a break, recharge, and jump back into photography in a few weeks with renewed excitement.

20. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Every winter. Especially this winter. Egad!!!

I'm not an inclement weather shooter, nor am I interested in indoor macro shooting and such. Thus each autumn I know that I will be consigned to the scrap heap of photography until the following spring. (The mandatory Thanksgiving and Christmas pictures for the Princess of the Exchequer not withstanding).

During the winter months I traditionally look over gear websites (the B&H catalog is huge and fun...and sometimes expensive if I get carried away), and re-edit photographs. Printing is (mostly) a winter task (I still print at home). Before the web were the photo magazines coming to the house each month...

This year I acquired a good DVD training program on Elements 12 and have waded through most of that, and have spent time each day on this forum and TheOnlinePhotographer. I upgraded one of my computers and decided to concentrate on a single post processing software rather than bounce around between several programs.

Now that warm weather is "right around the corner" (???) I've gone through all of the gear, charged all of the batteries (a monthly chore) and have planned a few day trips and verified I have the required gear (on another thread in the forum I posted questions about the Air Force Museum in Ohio to see what forum members recommend having handy for that).

Winter is a time for maintenance, education, and planning.

In the (rare) case where 'photographer's block' strikes during decent weather it has always meant that I've not been shooting enough.

The last time that happened I realized that the Nikon DSLR was being left home due to weight - and a change of format to M4/3 cured that :2thumbs:. Of course sometimes it has been because I needed a change of venue - the local spots were becoming wearisome; a short road trip has proven effective under those conditions.

Dylan, I don't think abandoning the (art? hobby? craft?) during the current 'winter of our discontent' would, perhaps, be the wisest move. After the return of weather wherein one can breath outdoors without a face mask you might find your interest returning.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim