Do all Panasonic lenses "wiggle" or feel loose on the G2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by frodoboy, Oct 19, 2010.

1. frodoboy

frodoboy New to Mu-43

I just got my G2 and love it. I came from a Canon 50d with "L" prime lenses but it was just too heavy for my old, disabled body to carry around anymore so I sold the lot and went for the G2. It came with the 14-42mm lens and I just bought the 14-140mm lens. My question is this: I noticed when zooming in and out with the 14-140mm (the zoom ring is pretty tight!), at each end (WA and TP), the lens barrel sort of clicks just a 32nd of an inch or so. I thought it was the lens so I tried it with the stock 14-42mm lens and it did the same thing! My Canon lenses never moved one thousandths of an inch when attached. I don't know if this is a common thing with the G2 or Panny lenses but thought I'd ask. I can get used to this I suppose but it is awkward when I'm zooming in or out, especially quickly and even worse while shooting a movie and the lens "clunks" ever so slightly in either direction. It is like it is not securing tightly and is slightly loose. If this is a common thing, someone let me know. It does bug me!

2. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi,

Don't know about the G2, but I have the GF1 and all of my lenses (20mm, 14-45mm and a VogtlÃĪnder adapter) wiggle a little. I looked at one in a store recently and noticed it also wiggled. Not so on my Nikon-system, but I assume it is normal on my Panasonic. The photos do at least look sharp! :)

- iau

3. frodoboy

frodoboy New to Mu-43

Thanks iau!

I had a feeling that was normal. I don't know why. I guess the Canons definitely have a much better water/dust seal than the Pannys do. How has the sensor "dust" been when you've changed lenses? The big drawback on my Canon 50D was the "dust magnet" on the sensor! No matter how careful I was, whenever I changed the lens, I would end up with some dust on the sensor and was always cleaning it. The ultrasonic dust removal was a joke. I always had to use a tiny air brush to get the dust off. I am getting more lenses for the G2 soon (100-300mm, 7-14mm and 45mm macro) and was wondering just how effective the dust removal system is. At least I can easily get to the sensor if I have to clean it.

patrick