1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Do all new Olympus cameras come used?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lenshoarder, Oct 26, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    On another forum, people are saying that their new Olympus cameras come with upwards of a few hundred activations on the counter. There have been enough reports on more than one model from more than one vendor that it seems like it's more than a fluke. Is this normal for Olympus? If so, why? I can understand 10-20 shots as part of the testing process but 300?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    My E-M5 came with <20 actuations. My E-PM1 came with <10. So I don't think 300 is the norm.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I haven't heard anything about this, but sounds like one or more retailers are reselling returned cameras (maybe visual inspection, or customer told them that they were unused)? It is a high volume camera and a few online retailers now have very liberal return policies, so I could see this happening.

Nice to have that return policy, but I wouldn't be very happy to receive a unit that has been in someone else's hands, unless I knew on the front end and got a bit of a discount.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I haven't heard about it either, but I figure if we are going to be offered very liberal return policies then we have to accept gear that is not "virginal".

Doesn't mean I'd accept any signs of use or more than few hundred clicks, but I have no issue with the camera being in someone else's hands.

• Like Like x 2
  5. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    The only thread I've seen that talked about that was specifically about refurbished cameras from Cameta. Is that what you're looking at?

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    No. I'm talking about new cameras, not refurbished. For example, someone who got a new E-PL1 from Cameta said that it had 43 activations. People that have gotten the XZ-1 new from Amazon range from 10's to 300 activations. The 300 is a high but isn't that much of a outlier. Others have reported 100 and 200.

As for whether vendors are shipping out user returns, many will not ship out returned merchandise as new even if the shipping box has never been opened. Once it's shipped, it will only be sold as open box/refurbished. Lenovo definitely does this. I think Amazon does as well. The person with the 43 shot E-PL1 from Cameta asked and according to that poster, Cameta gets the cameras directly from Olympus. Maybe Olympus is sending them back out as new after the retailer returns the item to them.

7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    In Europe, Olympus sell returns as "refurbished, as new/like new" on ebay. They are sent from Olympus Germany and the one I bought (EPL1) did indeed look like new. I wrote down the actuations but cannot remember the exact number - however my brand new (from amazon UK) E-PL3 had around 120 shutter actuations I think and that was more than the Olympus refurb.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    "I just bought this camera but decided I wanted something else." Within 15 days? No problem. That's common practice these days... In fact, many equipment reviewers openly state that they do this on a regular basis.

9. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    I have bought the EPL2, EP3, EPM1, and OMD. All of them looked new on arrival and they all had between 70-200 actuations. This is from the secret menu and not file numbering. I bought the EP3 directly from Olympus on release and that one had 180ish IIRC. So I guess it's normal for Olympus cameras to have high shutter count.

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I guess Olympus just has a extensive testing proceedure and doesn't reset the counter when they are done. I wonder if the high shutter count, greater than 100, cameras needed more tweaking to get right over the ones with only a handful.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Camera accidentally set to 9fps when factory testing? :rofl:

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    What other forum, or shall we guess? :rolleyes: :biggrin: Mine was also <20. But like new returns could raise that possibility. Some etailers have strict limits on the number of shutter actuations that are permitted for returns, but others don't.

13. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I haven't had this experience with cameras, but I'm pretty sure Amazon sells returned lenses as new. When I purchased the 12mm, I was surprised to discover it was black! ...and a 14-42 zoom! ...in an Olympus 12mm box. Best I can figure, somebody returned a free lens for a $700 refund and Amazon didn't notice till they resold it to me. Fortunately, they returned it no problem though!

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hey guys is not only olympus, i totally recall having this "problem" with Fuji and when they first came up with the X100. My camera came (i do not remember exactly but worst than all of you) with thousands of actuation's like 1K or 1K plus. and remembered going back and forth with the camera shop about this and they kept saying this was a factory new camera and they did this for testing purposes, even got in touch with the Fujifilm representative saying it was not a used camera but a new one.

Bottomline was, i never believed them or Fuji, that is just bull****. well i dont know. but its definitely not just olympus guys...

15. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    How can I see the current number of shots my camera has taken (E-M5)?

16. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    This is my understanding also. I think my OMD had around 60 shutter clicks when I got it.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Don't know why you are worrying, guys, you'll all be upgrading long before the shutter wears out! :tongue::biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    +1

19. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've never been inconveniened by a defective new Olympus camera. So if the factory is performing these initial ~ 20-100 actuations for quality control purposes then I'm OK with that.