Do adapters differ in quality? (M to M4/3)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by magicianhisoka, Nov 26, 2011.

1. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Hi all,

currently I have a fair bit of cash invested in my M system and I'm thinking about using the lenses I have on a GF1. Does it make a difference which adapter I pick? I plan to use a 21mm at f8 or a 35mm 1.2 if I grab an adapter. Yet I am completely unsure if the voigtlander adapter is worth the money. Anyone care to share their experiences with cheap or branded M to M4/3 adapters?

2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Some people swear by the Voigtlander adapter and won't think of using anything else. Others have gone the less expensive route and found they do the job reasonably well. I purchased a single Fotodiox adapter, saw that it worked well for me and chose to stick with that brand. I now have quite a few.

For my Gf1, I have adapters for Contax/Yashica, T-mount, Canon FD, and Canon EF lenses. I also have a couple for my Canon 5D Mark II for the odd time that I want to use my Contax mount Zeiss lenses and Canon FD lenses. I've had no problems with any of mine. They hold the lenses securely with no wobble, show no evidence of light leaks, and release without a hassle.

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    the only time I ever had a problem with a cheap, bought from Hong Kong adapter, it would not go on at all, but as soon as I informed the seller, he sent a replacement which was just fine. Otherwise all my very cheapy adapters seem to mount and dismount without problems. Otherwise the only issue might be if the CV adapters are such that you can turn all the way and achieve perfect infinity focus. That would certainly be nice. All my cheap adapters go somewhere from a smidgen to a good bit "past infinity"

Obviously since no optics are involved, these are mostly ergonomics issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I agree with the "past infinity" statement. My Contax/Yashica adapters do allow focus to go slightly past infinity, but my Canon adapters are fine. It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of. The C/Y adapters are the ones I use most (they spend more time on the camera than my native lenses do), so it's not a huge issue. The flip side is that I've read customer reviews of some other adapters complaining that they wouldn't allow infinity focus.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I use the cheap adapters, including a Fotodiox M to m4/3, and they all focus slightly past infinity. They also all have a small amount of rotational movement. They do the job but if I could afford it, I would spend the money on adapters with tighter tolerances; Cameraquest, Rayqual, Novoflex.

You may want to test the waters with a cheaper one to see if shooting with adapted lenses suits you. If the minor issues associated with the cheap one annoy you get one of the better ones.

Fred

6. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Even FotoDiox is too expensive for me. I'll try to save a dollar and go even cheaper. FotoDiox is just a reseller, not a manufacturer, and he also looks for the lowest cost supplier. Sometimes, he like us cheap buyers, goes too low cost and gets a bunch of stock that doesn't work (won't even focus to infinity because they made it too long).

However, I don't have M lenses. Wouldn't you want to flip an M lens to a distance setting and know it's correct? I would think so. Can't do that with a cheap adapter, unless you take it apart and shim it up.

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    How can a lens focus past infinity? Technically speaking not philosophically.

And to add to thread. I have a fotodiox adapter and bought a cheaper one for a different mount and they both work fine.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A 50mm lens forms an image 50mm behind itself (the focal plane) of an object "infinitely" far from the front. If you move the lens further from the focal plane it focuses objects closer than infinity. If you move the lens closer to the focal plane then nothing is in focus.

Most cheap adapters are a little bit shorter than they need to be so when the lens is set to it's infinity stop it's a to close to the sensor to focus. This better than a little too long where you wouldn't be able to focus to "infinity".

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ebay -> Rainbowimaging

I haven't had any problems with them. Side by side with either voigtlander or metabones, you definitly can see the quality difference. Examine the pictures online very closely, you'll notice that the "springs" used by the cheap adapters are simply bent metal flanges while the high end adapters use "leaf springs". I have to "readjust" the cheap adapters occasionally with a small flathead screwdriver for proper tension. Whether or not this matters and is worth the extra cost is a personal choice.

If you intend on putting the M-lenses + adapter through heavy usage, I'd probably recommend spending the extra cash. If not... (like me), I can see spending the money elsewhere.