Do 4/3rd & u43rd photographers pay attention to technique more?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cdecurtis, Nov 1, 2012.

1. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    I was shooting work photos today with my 510. One of my biologists was shooting with a Canon 5D (1st gen) and he commented that I am more deliberate with my shots. In general, he thinks I am forced to be more technique aware because of equipment limitations...from his viewpoint (as well as many others shooting FF or APS-C). I laughed because 7 out of 10 shots for me are usable where he has a hit ratio of about 3 out of 10. Even with same subject/distance/light.

My take is that I grew up with film and the smell of dektol and fixer. I think we were trained to be more careful with our shots and composition. I find his composition is loose and not very consistent. More the eye than the gear, so to speak.

2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    My thoughts are that you are probably a better photographer- regardless of equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    +1. My technique would be proof of that.
  4. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Expensive equipment doesn't guarantee talent.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    As someone who also started with film - I agree with you here. It was your experiences with film that provided you with your foundation in technique...
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I thnk your take is spot on. Afterall, we are not talking about capturing race cars going 100 mph...
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that his comments are more relevant to your two different styles rather than the different cameras that you are using. Theoretically a more forgiving piece of equipment allows you to be lazier with less consequence, but the choice to be lazy is in the hands of the user.
  8. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Film teaches you to make every shot count.

I'll now come back from an air show with hundreds of images. I NEVER did that with film - maybe just a few rolls. To my embarrassment, I seem to have "unlearned" that lesson. I now tend to "spray and pray."

Good for you for shooting wisely.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - shooting and developing film was a gift that many young people will never experience. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think attention to technique depends on the photographer and that may mean that if your friend is right and he sees more 43 and M43 photographers doing so than DSLR photographers, then some of the DSLR Photographers who paid attention to technique are moving to 43 and M43 and leaving the DSLR field to those who don't.

11. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Film required patience

From start to finish. I would buy Tri-X in bulk and load my own. We played around with pushing to 800/1600 and thought we were on the cutting edge. My favorite color film was K25 for those that remember. It was a pure film with unreal colors. Pan-X and Plus-X were also B&W staples. Ilford too.

I think it may be that I am not the better photographer but more a result of being taught to know the subject before shooting, know and apply the rule of thirds, don't split the frame with the horizon, etc... Spraying was really not an option for my newspaper delivery budget.

Thanks everyone for the discussion.
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Theoretically yes.
    But in real life... it's "Garbage in, garbage out".

If you don't put the effort into creating good photos with skill and knowledge, and instead rely on your equipment to save you, then you will never get good photos or will be limited to a very low percentage of good photos. If the equipment could save us, then we wouldn't need photographers - we could all just get a Photobot...

photoBot is an alternative to the ‘point and shoot’ photography, building on people’s desire and passion to document aspects of their lives by taking and sharing photos online. Using ultrasonic sound the product detects the location of people within the vicinity and then automatically takes a photo of them. This automation allows people to enjoy an occasion, such as a party, in the knowledge that the occasion is being documented photographically without the need for them to do it themselves.

For what it's worth... I still take photos the same way with the same techniques, the same methods, and much of the same equipment (ie, lights, triggers, stands, glass, etc.) as I did 10 years ago - long before cameras could think for themselves.
  13. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Old Fart Alert... LOL!

Like people do in many metro areas, we often have group photo shoots, meet up somewhere, get special access to something, etc. When I first got involved with them I was still shooting film, MF & LF, as were a few other people local here in the Houston area. What we found was that many of the digital shooters had already blasted away and were ready to move on to another area and we were still setting up tripods and cameras. So we started outings we called Film Crawls, open to anyone but planned for the pace of film shooting people.

Ten years or so later, we still have them, and there is still a group of the same people but now many of us have switched to digital completely or partially. I still use my E-30 the same way I used my Bronica S2A, shooting 75% or more from a tripod or monopod, composing and bracketing the same way. I also make extensive use of old Nikkor PC lenses, which also brings a slower pace, much like using my 4x5. And the other 4-5 people, too, still shoot the same, digital or film. It is a function of how you learned, I am convinced. And I have been shooting this way for almost 50 years and see no reason to change. And I imagine that when I get my OM-D, I will still shoot the same way.

Do I have more keepers than the people who blast away and then pile back into the cars and move on to the next place? It's hard to say, since I have a different definition of what makes a good photo than most of them do. I see pictures posted that I would not consider keeping, let alone show to others - - but they are happy with them. I will say that since switching to digital, my own percentage of keepers has increased, and i think that is because shooting digital removes steps and variability in what was my workflow when I shot film and then scanned and post processed it. But that's just my opinion.