1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DNG Recover Edges plugin for Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by entropicremnants, Apr 3, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I see this has been mentioned in some posts, but I thought it might bear repetition.

You can read this: http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/lightroomplugins/lightroomplugins_dngre_docs.pdf

But I'll summarize.

If you have certain cameras (Olympus for sure, but not Panasonic or Nikon) and you deliberately shoot in a cropped mode like 16:9 or 1:1 while shooting RAW, the resulting RAW will contain crop info and Lightroom will respect that.

However, if you convert to DNG from RAW (and you must to use this), you have the option to recover the original sensor image sans cropping using this plug in. This is possible because the RAW file still contains all the original sensor data from the entire sensor.

If you've ever shot something using a special crop, and then later wished you had not, you can recover all the sensor data with some model cameras which includes most Olympus mu-43 cams.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks. I've noticed that if I shoot my EM5 with a crop other than 4:3, this crop behaves as if it's "baked" into the image in LR4. When I shoot my EPM2 with a crop other than 4:3, I can choose "original" in the crop tool, and I'll see the original 4:3 DNG. I can then choose "As Shot," and I'll see the file with the crop as I shot it. Last time I tested this, though, I was running firmware 1.5 on my EM5. I'm typing this from memory, so my apologies if my instructions are not exact. Will check and update later if necessary.

Here's the link to the plugin you mention:

Plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom | Adobe Labs

3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Same here except with E-M5 and E-PL5 instead of E-PM2.
    I work around it by changing the EXIF "TIFF.Model" field to be E-PL5 on the RAW/ORF's I want to crop differently and then I get the full picture, so to speak.