1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DNG and raw problems.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Oct 17, 2012.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    For some reason I have set up my laptop to convert all raw files to dng files upon importing the files to my hard drive using lightroom to importing them onto my system. Now when I go to work in on some of those raw files in Olympus Viewer 2, and then do not come up. Anyone have any idea of what setting I have mistakenly set and how can I reverse this little problem. My desktop is set up to convert files onto my system with lightroom and they are not converted, but for some reason my laptop is giving me problems. Also is there an advantage in working with dng files over working with the raw file without converting it?:confused:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm at work, and only have LR 3.5 on that laptop, so I'm not sure if LR4 is different (or what version you have.

The only thing I see is that at the top of the Import screen, in the center, there are 4 choices: "Copy as DNG," Copy, Move, and Add. This screen remembers your last choice, so if you did a Copy as DNG once, it will default to that the next time. And the next time. And....

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks, I looked at that, but I do not have any idea of how to change it. I will shoot some raw files and see if I can change it back by clicking on just copy.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks, I think that you have found the problem. For some reason I did click on convert to DNG in the import when I imported some raw files from my SD card while using Lightroom 4 to import the files. Lightroom 4 does remember you last setting for import and uses that setting for all other imports by Lightroom 4 on your system. I photographed three images in my home and imported them with Lightroom 4 but clicked on (Copy and Catalog) and they imported as raw files. I took photographs of three more images and imported them without making any changes to Lightroom 4 and they imported as raw files so you have done me a great favor and found a cure for my problem. Thanks for the help.