1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMW-LVF1E - Low Stock in UK - Upgrade Coming?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Jan 13, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Seems a like a lot of the larger retailers are out of stock of the LVF. I wonder if this suggests a new model is on the way or just a seasonal stock issue?

I bought one a week back from a Market Seller on Amazon but thanks to the appalling postal service we call 'Royal Mail', it has yet to arrive 8 days later.

It would be sods law for it to turn up as an upgraded model is announced!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'm waiting for local branch of Jacob's to get one in for me to try before possibly buying one if I like it. Need to look through it before deciding.

All the best,

Colin

3. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I ordered one online on 4th (from SRS I think) and I had to wait a few days extra as they apparently had to order it from Panasonic. it didn't take that long though. It was dispatched by 7th and I received it on Monday.

I don't necessarily think that it's sign of a new one on the horizon, but don't quote me on that though, but rather that it's a £150+ optional accessory that most buyers probably don't take up. So I reckon that it's more likely that retailers, even online, don't want to keep items in stock if it's most likely that they're not going to sell or will sell slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Maybe so, but retailers such as Argos don't work like that, nor Warehouse Express or Amazon. But all are out of stock. Probably nothing but was just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

What do you think about it now that you've tried it? I'd very interested in hearing your opinion.

All the best,

Colin

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Remember that the finder also works with the LX5.
    That could put pressure on stock.
    I like it on the LX5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    it also works with a few of the Leica digicams and is a lot cheaper than the identical Leica branded version. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    It's very clear and colours are very bright/vivid and does make holding the camera steady easier. I've not had a chance to use it properly, just been a playing with it around the house so far but what I did find is that I naturally bring a viewfinder up to my left eye but it feels a bit awkward with the GF1/LVF1 as it feels as though my nose/right cheek needs to take up the space where my right thumb holds the camera, its not an insurmountable problem though, I don't have a big problem with using my right eye and at a push I can use my left. It's just feels like an effort as opposed to the camera becoming part of you.

Overall, I'd say it's probably going to be worthwhile if you can stomach the cost. When I found out it was going to be delayed I almost cancelled the order and just saving the money but I think I'll be glad I kept it in long run. Hopefully a trial in a shop will give you a good enough basis to make a decision, I'm not sure which way I'd have fallen if I'd only given it a brief play before deciding.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with it. It sounds like it will be fine for my purposes. They seem to be in short supply in the UK - my camera shop friends said that they're having trouble getting hold of one for me, so it might be a while before I get a chance to try one.

All the best,

Colin

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I haven't taken mine off of the gf1 since the day I tried it out.

Love it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I ordered mine from an Amazon MarketPlace seller as they were the cheapest and had one in stock. But thanks to the wonder that is our Royal Mail, it has still not surfaces 11 days later.

Posted 1st Class Packet on Wed 5th Jan - dispatched next day and has disappeared. Can't be too annoyed at the retailer - but I cannot claim as lost until 15 working days have passed and I still have to source a replacement Grrr

12. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    Think it is something that the retailers don't really stock just get in when they get an order in. I got my GF1 early December soon decided that I needed the viewfinder best pace I found at the time was camera world. I ordred on line on the Sunday evening got a call the next morning saying that it was not in stock but should be able to get one in a week, asked if I wanted to carry on with the order said yes. In the end it was nearly two weeks before I got it. I was happy to wait as it was a lot cheaper I don't use it all the time but always in the bag with the camera if I need it.

Over all yes it is expensive but it is usefull even you can't see the screen, you can see the information in the viewfinder I am glad I bought it.

13. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    I just tried out the LVF1 on my GF1 at a local retailer, I found it washed out, impossible to focus manually (I have a number of fast manual lenses) and altogether dissapointing. The local price was $399(New Zealand), that slowed me down as well! He tells me he's sold about 20% of GF1's with the viewfinder. Caveat: I went in expecting little based on the forums feedback, but I'm a user of a Canon 5D and ex-user of a 1Ds so I may have expectations in excess of a tiny LCD.

I'll probably go the way of a loupe if I can't put up with the LCD any longer.

14. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I have read almost universally that Panasonic's viewfinder is quite inferior to Olympus' one. I am waiting for the next rendition where Panasonic I am sure will get it better

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have both and yes the Olympus EVF has much higher resolution. I would say though that the GF1 EVF is far from useless.

16. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I've been trying to get hold of one for about a month, without success, but eventually found one second hand at London Camera Exchange. It's nowhere near as good as the G1's EVF, but perfectly useable for my purposes.

All the best,

Colin