1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMC-GH3 and SDXC Card UHS-I 95 MB/s vs 45 MB/s ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brosenz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. brosenz

brosenz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi, I have to SD Cards to that I can use with the DMC-GH3 camera:

1.- SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 64GB 95MB/s 633x

2.- SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-I 128GB 45 MB/s 300x

I would love to leverage the higher capacity, but I am worry that I would be loosing the extra performance on speed, do you know if the DMC-GH3 will be able to leverage the extra speed from the Extreme Pro card ?, thanks

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The GH3's buffer is going to work in either case. These hyper speed cards are largely a lot of hype, and often a waste of money.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I tested my GH3 with a 45MB/s card and it was plenty fast, had no issues firing off huge bursts of RAW photos, so I would have no hesitations using the 45MB/s card.

FWIW I do have and use faster cards when I can, but I mostly reserve the faster cards for cameras like the D800 that take better advantage of the speed due to larger file writes. I honestly don't think I can tell any kind of performance difference on my m4/3 cameras with cards faster than 45MB/s.

4. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    The high speed cards are for HD video. You can use a much lower capacity card if you're just shooting raw images. However, the cards are not over rated in that the camera needs a fast card if using the highest settings on HD video mode. Why pay for a not so cheap camera, and then cheap out on the card lol.

5. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    72mb movie mode in GH3 works fine for me.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The rating on cards is only what the manufacturer guaranty the card might have higher performance then the stated. Faster cards will have the advatage of clearing the buffer faster if the camera bus is speedy enough. I would suggest to perform the following test.

In burst mode check the time when the first picture can be shoot after buffer full.

In most Panasonic cameras it will be the eight picture.
    If you make if while shooting a stopwatch you will get the correct time.

On my G5 with a 30 MB/s it was 9 seconds.