1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DMC-GH2 for dummies

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DanGuy48, Feb 6, 2011.

1. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

I wish there were such a book. So, I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the mode dial (iA, P, A, S etc) and the menu screen (push "menu/set) on the LCD display. For example, if I'm in iA, the menu selections are reduced in number, which makes sense. But if I'm in any of the others, there're many more menu item choices. If I'm in "A" for example, do the choices I make in the LCD menu screen apply to P, S and M? The reason I asked is somehow, I switched resolution on some of the pictures I was shooting and some others were in b&w all accidentally. I figure I must have been fooling around in onemodeanddidn't realize it would carry over to another (viewfindercorrextly showed b&w BTW but I was in a hurry.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's two suggestions

Actually, there is a very good book that was written for the GF1, exactly what you are asking for. If you are interested, I'll get the name for you. While it's not the same camera, 90% of the contents apply to the GH1.

Regarding the modes:
    P= Program
    A= Aperture Priority
    S=Shutter Priority.
    iA-Intelligent Auto (I tend to avoid this mode as some of the decisions it makes I may not agree with.

Virtually all the menu setting apply equally to these three modes. In P, the camera selects the Aperture and Shutter settings. In A, YOU select the aperture and the camera select the shutter speed. While in S it's the opposite, you select the Shutter the camera selects the aperture.

Bob

3. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Is the book Buschs-Panasonic-DMC-GF1-Digital-Photography?

I know since I use old MF lenses so much I am trying to figure out the differences in each mode if any when using legacy lenses instead of modern lenses.

BK

4. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

that's what I was after. So I probably set up one mode thinking it was specific to it, not realizing it applied to the others. Also, good info on book; I'll definitely track it down.

5. Wasabi Bob

That's it

Yes, that's the book. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble. It's a fantastic book that really explain the camera features very well. I've used many Panasonic cameras and I think my knowledge is a bit higher than the average user. I've learned several helpful facts about how they designed the camera. I've only had the book about 6 months and already the book shows signs of use. To me this identifies a good book, one that I go back to, time and time again!

Here's my suggestion. Pick one feature - do some research on what it was intended for. Shoot at least 50 photos using this new feature and learn how it changes the photo. Once you are comfortable, move on to the next feature, and the next .... You will not learn about all these features by reading a book or an owner's manual. Before you realize it, you'll be a super user. And remember, Google is your best friend!

6. backdoc

backdoc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Bob,

I was looking at some of the photos in you blog. I was wondering how you mix b&w and color. I have a mac. But, no photoshop. I do have Gimp though (which I've used a little here and there).

BTW: nice photos

Darren

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    FYI here is an awesome program for Mac folks that have never used Photoshop on the mac.

Pixelmator | Learn

Why never used PS? Since I have spent so much time in PS I have much to unlearn, if you have no PS habits then this is a great program and Cheap as well.

Pixelmator | Learn | Coloring a Black and White Photograph

BK

8. Wasabi Bob

Here's how

I mixed the two using Photoshop, creating a duplicate layer which I converted to B&W. Next I overlay the day and "erase" the color content I don't want, thereby exposing the B&W identical content behind it. Once it looks the way I want, I merge the two layers. There are several other ways you can do this.

Regarding the Mac, I just got done building a new Hackintosh machine that runs both Win 7 (x64) and Mac Snow Leopard. I have not yet loaded CS5 on the Mac side, but that's just a matter of time. I don't know what other programs offer "layers" for the Mac platform.

Glad you enjoyed the photos - thanks for your comments.

9. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Mac Layers

FYI Here are two good image editors that support layers on the Mac and can open and save PSD files.

Pixelmator

and

Acorn, the image editor for humans.