DMC-GH2 and DMC-G2, what is the difference?

jcurious

Mu-43 Regular
Spec wise:

GH2:1080p video (vs 720p)
GH2: stereo mic built in (vs mono built in, I think both can be attached to stereo mic)
GH2:More sensitive sensor
GH2: shutterless sensor
GH2: More photos/second
G2: close to half the price (G2 currently $547 with kit lens on amazon, GH2 ~$1k)

FYI I'm a happy G2 owner.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
The GH2 also has much faster auto-focus than the G2 (or than any other m43 camera currently available) also. That one sounds like a big leap compared to the other more incremental improvements.

-Ray

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Spec wise:

GH2:1080p video (vs 720p)
GH2: stereo mic built in (vs mono built in, I think both can be attached to stereo mic)
GH2:More sensitive sensor
GH2: shutterless sensor
GH2: More photos/second
G2: close to half the price (G2 currently $547 with kit lens on amazon, GH2 ~$1k)

FYI I'm a happy G2 owner.

I'm pretty sure the shutterless part was just a rumor which didn't pan out.

brnmatsumoto

Mu-43 Regular
more video controls

The Panasonic GH2 provides more control for taking videos. For example, you can take "hispeed" or "slo motion videos". I own a G2 and am eagerly awaiting the GH2 because as mentioned in an earlier post, the sensor is supposed to be more sensitive. The G2 sensor's base ISO is 100 while the GH2's is 160.

There are some shifts in the placement of menu commands. You can dial in Custom menu's 1, 2, 3 by simply turning the upper dial. With the G2 you dial the upper dial into CUST and then you go into the menu to select C1 C2 C3. I would much prefer the former method of changing my custom settings than the latter.

I love my G2, but I am hoping that the faster focusing modes and the higher sensitivity will expand my photographic opportunities.

Brian

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gotcha. There was a rumor back in January that the GH2 was going to be completely shutterless.

I remember that one as well, but it didn't pan out. I think the wishes of the public are one generation ahead of technology, which probably makes sense. I'm guessing we'll see a completely shutterless (mechanical) camera by 2012.

Latest threads

Top Bottom