1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMC-GH2 and DMC-G2, what is the difference?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MartinK, Dec 11, 2010.

1. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    Can you tell me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Spec wise:

GH2:1080p video (vs 720p)
    GH2: stereo mic built in (vs mono built in, I think both can be attached to stereo mic)
    GH2:More sensitive sensor
    GH2: shutterless sensor
    GH2: More photos/second
    G2: close to half the price (G2 currently $547 with kit lens on amazon, GH2 ~$1k)

FYI I'm a happy G2 owner.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The GH2 also has much faster auto-focus than the G2 (or than any other m43 camera currently available) also. That one sounds like a big leap compared to the other more incremental improvements.

-Ray

4. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    More info here.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm pretty sure the shutterless part was just a rumor which didn't pan out.

6. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    more video controls

The Panasonic GH2 provides more control for taking videos. For example, you can take "hispeed" or "slo motion videos". I own a G2 and am eagerly awaiting the GH2 because as mentioned in an earlier post, the sensor is supposed to be more sensitive. The G2 sensor's base ISO is 100 while the GH2's is 160.

There are some shifts in the placement of menu commands. You can dial in Custom menu's 1, 2, 3 by simply turning the upper dial. With the G2 you dial the upper dial into CUST and then you go into the menu to select C1 C2 C3. I would much prefer the former method of changing my custom settings than the latter.

I love my G2, but I am hoping that the faster focusing modes and the higher sensitivity will expand my photographic opportunities.

Brian

7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    AFAIK the 40 fps mode is shutterless and is basically doing sensor captures in a 2MP center section.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Gotcha. There was a rumor back in January that the GH2 was going to be completely shutterless.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I remember that one as well, but it didn't pan out. I think the wishes of the public are one generation ahead of technology, which probably makes sense. I'm guessing we'll see a completely shutterless (mechanical) camera by 2012.