DMC-GF2 or E-PL3 for ex-DSLR user wanting something more than current S90?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Hammerli, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hammerli

Hammerli New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    Like many here, I come from a diverse camera background. My current camera is a Canon S90, which is capable of pretty decent images for the form factor. In a juxtaposition of extremes, my camera bag prior to that contained a 5DII, 1DIV and 1DsIII with a myriad of lenses, studio gear, etc. After a divorce, lost half of that, and just didn't feel like shooting for quite a while or having "big" cameras. Bought the S90 to have something, and I've just given that to my new wife, so with plans of an immediate family, I'm looking for better image quality and throw it in a diaper bag versatility to go with the S90 pocket cam. I can pick up a left over new GF-2 for $500 with the 14, or go with the E-PL3 for around $650. I've tried the GF-2 and I like it, but I'm a little disappointed with the jpeg quality compared to the S90 at base ISO's. Certainly at 800 the difference is far more noticeable, but I keep seeing and hearing how superior the Oly jpeg engine is. To be honest I intend to use either with the new Panny pancake zoom most of the time as that's the size and versatility I'm looking for, and maybe occasionally the 45 1.8 since one of my favorite Canon lenses was the 85 1.8. I like the "bounce flash" trick with the GF-2, which I think I would lose with the E-PL3, but I keep thinking I should ignore the slightly higher cost of the Oly and go with it due to the better image quality. So all that said, I'm sure I'm missing things coming late to the mirrorless game, so should I be giving more credit to the GF2? Will probably shoot some video once the baby arrives, and I'm not educated enough to know if there are differences there I should be factoring in, but I'm open to opinions and advice.

2. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't think there's a flash at all on the E-PL3, so yep bouncing might be tough.

I've got a GF2 and think the ability to pull back the flash is brilliant. it definitely deserves a bit of credit. I cant comment too much on jpeg comparison between Oly and Panasonic. Panasonic seems fine to me but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

E-PL2 might be worth a look. should be similar price to GF2 and it's got built in flash. I think it's physically a bit larger than GF2 though.

G3 is also be worth a look, especially if it just needs to fit in a diaper bag and not a pocket. swivel screen would be great for video.

3. Hammerli

Hammerli New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks, while the E-PL3 doesn't have a built in flash, it does have a small unit included that mounts in the hot shoe. That doesn't bother me, but I don't think it can be bounced, intended or not.

GF2 is as large as I want to go, and I prefer usually to go with a newer design if available, except in the case of the GF2/3 where I believe the IQ is equal but some other things were lost. The G3 is just way too big, honestly if I could live with that size I'd go back to a Canon DSLR like the 60D.

I've pretty much narrowed down my choice to two, but in more research, I'm wondering about compatibility of pancake zoom with E-PL3, which could be a swaying factor.

4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I would go with the E-PL3 due it's form factor and speed but it's kind of hard to ignore the GF-2 at only $500. The panny kit is like buying a lens and getting a camera body thrown in for a couple hundred bucks.

Equipped with that 14mm it's really a steal. My suggestion?

Pick up the GF-2 and aquaint yourself with MFT. If you get bored, sell the GF-2 body and pick up that E-PL3 you want. Prices will have dropped by then. And besides, you don't want to be shooting too long with the Oly kit lens anyway. A 14 wide, or 20mm is a must.

5. Hammerli

Hammerli New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    Well, ordered the E-PL3 today in white. Just seemed like the right camera, and I figure the best way to get the pancake zoom when it comes out will be to buy the GF3X kit and sell the body, so when I do that maybe I'll just keep the GF3 body for a while to play with it. The prices seem to be dropping so fas on the GF2 that I just couldn't justify buying it with the new generation of processors out now. Now if I can just avoid collecting lenses for the system, I'll not end up with bags and bags of gear again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats on the white EPL3. If I were to get one, I think I'd get the white one as well. Post some photos of the new toy when you get it! And of course, also photos taken with the new toy! :)

7. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yes pictures of the camera and from the camera is well appreciated! Also, can you confirm that the body is made of metal? Or metal-ish? Thank you!