1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMC-G6 Does NYC's Times Square

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, May 20, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 - a set on Flickr

Guys
    I recently had the opportunity to try out a pre-production G6 with the new 14-140 lens. I just received permission to share the photos. Just posted them, and got a surprise with Flickr's new look. The slide show, especially, really displays the photos in a very attractive way.

Most of the night shots in NYS were shot at ISO 1600 & ISO 3200. Overall I was very happy with the end result.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    They look great! Did you ever shoot a G5? Comparison?

I too was surprised by flickr today, lol.

3. Wasabi Bob

Have not had the chance to shoot the G5 vs. the G6. The texture of the G6 case is more tactile. Didn't have enough time to do a detailed comparison.

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Well, nice job rocking the G6 for the first time. Doing night shots without a fast lens is demanding of both the camera and the photographer, lol.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Thanks for sharing! How long did you have the G6 for? Impressions?

Do you work for Panasonic? I remember you had the GH3 before release as well.

6. Wasabi Bob

Had it for about 1 week. The focus peaking worked very nice, especially for macro work. Similar to the G5 in many ways but i think the focus is a bit faster. It helps to know people within the company, and be somewhat local.

Going to see if I can get it for the holiday weekend.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Cool I'm seriously considering this to replace my G2. Glad to hear about the peaking, I shoot a lot of manual lenses. Is the rear dial improved over the G5? I find my G5 rear dial difficult to turn without pressing it in sometimes.

Yep it's good to have connections, how do I get in on the action? lol :wink:

8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs

9. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    thanks! how do you find the superzoom?

10. Wasabi Bob

Regarding "the wheel"

I first shot the G5 last June when I went to Hawaii. I also experienced a few unscheduled exposure adjustments that I first attributed to the stiffness of the wheel. It did not take too long for the wheel to loosen up and the problem went away. I've asked myself, did it loosen up or was I more aware of it? I'd have to say that the G6 isn't any different, yet, I have not had any unscheduled exposure adjustments. For me, this would not be a deal breaker.

The camera I had was a preproduction sample that had what appeared to be some cosmetic irregularities on the case. The firmware was "1.something", so it worked w/o any glitches. Unfortunately I was not able to shoot in RAW because CS6 would not open the files and the Silky Pix software was not included. All in all, the JPG's look very nice for ISO 1600 - 3200. Focus peaking is a very nice feature if you shoot in manual focus mode. I enjoy macro work, so being able to see what will be in focus was a big PLUS. Using the PREVIEW feature you can also vary the aperture and see the DOF change. I used that to visually explain DOF to a friend who I am tutoring.

11. Wasabi Bob

Not bad.

Not that much different than the original 14-140. It's a darker colored lens, so it visually appears to be smaller. I can say this.On the original 14-140 I was always able to to get the focus a "smidge" better switching to MF. On the new one, MF and AF (especially when used with PinPoint) are dead equal. Have not heard any price on the new version.

12. tenpoundpillow

tenpoundpillow New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    G6 compared to GH3

I noticed that another poster said you also had access to the GH3 when it was coming out. Do you happen to have any suggestions/thoughts comparing the still and video quality of the G6 to the GH3? I was about to buy the GH3 this week, but have been reading about G6. Seems to be nearly as good, with even some extra features, for half the price. What are your thoughts, is the GH3 really $500+ better, speaking mostly on image quality?

13. Wasabi Bob

That's a tough call ...

From what has been released we know the G6 uses the same sensor as the G5. The G5's sensor was the same as GH2. The GH2 was a very fine camera, and I think it's now safe to say that the firmware refinements and the latest Venus engine gave the G5, and now G6, some improvements (for still photography) over the GH2.

G6 seems to be a solid camera that, for me, performed very well at night at higher ISO's (1600 / 3200). I wish I shot it higher, but the trip was not scheduled as a photo shot. I promised my wife dinner in the city, so I had to squeeze some shots in along the walk back to the ferry. I'm sure you know that story!

The GH3 is a class of camera all to its own. If shooting video is in your future, and if you can afford it, the GH3 is king of the hill. The other question is when do you want the camera? I'm under the impression that G6 won't be released soon (in the next few weeks). I know, I like my toys, and I hate waiting! It's your call, but if a GH3 is in your budget, I'd go for it.

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hey Bob,

how do you find the g6's colors...? looking at your flickr set it looks like a pretty damn good sensor upgrade. :thumbup: how about the higher ISOs? thanks mate!

-looking to get this or the GH3 for stills... rarely do i shoot vids so the vid advantage of the GH3 doesnt matter

15. Wasabi Bob

Not really so much difference

Better color is a rather subjective term. Unless you can do side by side comparisons, any judgments are basically opinions. And even with side by side lab measurements, what you can measure is not always what can be seen in every photo. It's the kind of stuff that keeps the pixel peepers happy ;-)

Based on what's been published, the G6 / G5 and GH2 all share the same sensor so I didn't expect to see any major differences. Besides, don't we all inflict some color tweaking? What my experience has taught me is that you can really improve the color by using the auto bracket feature, often by just varying the exposure by 1/3 - 2/3 EV. It can improve the color saturation and make a so-so photo really pop. Regarding the ISO, all of the night shots were done at ISO 1600 & 3200. Seeing how good they looked, I'm sorry I did not shoot higher, but as I explained the trip was scheduled for taking my wife out to dinner! She's accepted the fact that I always have a camera with me.

16. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Thanks Bob. Not a pixel peeper myself.... But based on my experience with gf1 and gf2, man those things arent good for me (hence the query regarding the colors) Atleast from my opinion and liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. EdRocks

EdRocks New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Pretty sure I am going to get myself a G6.
    What I am not sure about is should I get the 14-140 lens? Me thinks yes and I like to travel and it would be a very good all purpose lens.

18. Wasabi Bob

Consider this

Do yourself a favor ....
    There was a program mentioned several months ago that would read the EXIF data in your photos and present it in an Excel spreadsheet format. One of the stats it shows is at what focal length you shoot most of the time.

We all unconsciously shoot on or around the same focal length. In my case, 80% of my work was shot at or near 50 mm (35mm format). Knowing this, I got the 12-35. It gives me the 25 mm lens focal length (25 x 2 = 50) I mostly shoot at.

I'm surprised that I don't use the tele lens as often as I thought I would, but it does prove that we all develop our own preferences and may not realize it.

I'll try to find the program name and post it over the weekend.

19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I like your Times Square pictures but who did you have to kill to get your hands on a G6 already?

20. Wasabi Bob

Some close friends!

It was a preproduction sample. I don't own it - sorry if I was misunderstood. Just got to use it.

I know several people in Sales for many years