1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMC-G5 incredibly sluggish when viewing photos!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by riponfrosh, Mar 21, 2013.

1. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Hey everybody! I'm hoping somebody can help me. I just purchased a new DMC-G5 camera with the kit lens and the 45-150 lens. So far I am pretty impressed with the camera, except when trying to view pictures I've taken. After hitting the playback button everything is SOO sluggish. Clicking back (to go to a previous picture) takes 2 or 3 seconds to bring up the next picture. Scrolling through pics takes forever! When trying to zoom in on a photo it is soo slow and jerky it can't even feasibly be done. I can't believe that this is the way it is supposed to be, as my old Sony Alpha would scroll through pics perfectly fine with no delay. Any idea what the problem is?!?
    Thanks all!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    It might be problematic SD card. Ihave G5 and viewing pictures works fine.

3. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    I thought of that too, but it is the same SD card I've been using for months in my Alpha with no problems. It's a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s class 10, 16GB card. Should be fast enough. I've used this card in my girlfriends Panasonic Lumix P&S as well with no issues.

4. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Well... apparently it was the card. I threw my 32 GB card (otherwise identical) from my camcorder in it, and it works great. I wonder why!? My other card did have over 3500 pictures on it. Maybe that was slowing it down :rolleyes:

I'm copying them all on to my PCs hard drive and I'll start with a clean card. See if that helps. Thanks!

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Did you reformat the card first? It could also just be that the card was getting old, or that there is some odd compatibility issue between the two brands.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess it could be the sheer number of images on that card or perhaps it's just that the card was formatted by a different type of camera.

You could test (if you felt like it) by copying the images off the card, then formatting the card in the G5 and then copying the images back to the card. I'd be interested in learning the true cause.

7. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Cleared the card, put it back in, works fine now...